Jump to content


Tim Leach

Member Since 29 Aug 2001
Offline Last Active Jan 16 2019 01:50 PM
-----

Posts I've Made

In Topic: How to prevent users from shelling out using '!'

20 December 2002 - 09:21 PM

Within Chess/Glovia, you can go the main SuperLayer Menu, select the option for Installation & Standards, then go to the Maintain System Standards screen. Open the Other Options window. At the OS Command Accepted field, blank out the Y. This will globally disable the capability to use ! at a command prompt to shell out.

However, the function EIFSHELL can still be run to get out to a shell. Properly set the security on it, and this should give you the selective functionality that you are looking for.

Tim

In Topic: EIF??

18 October 2001 - 03:03 PM

Depends, too, on what tables you are importing/exporting. There are Application Adapters available w/in the system to do some key data tables (like items, BOMs, customers, vendors, etc.). Other 'static' tables are pretty straightforward. However, you need to be VERY careful with transactional data (e.g. sales orders, purchase orders). These types of data usually update a number of other tables behind the scenes - you'll probably need to dive into the code to figure out everything that is touched.

For me, the easiest way to export is to use Impromptu (assuming you have it), then save to Excel. You could also use an ODBC connection into the Oracle DB, and export the data into Excel, Access, or any other ODBC-compliant app.

You can also use ODBC to import into Oracle, but again be VERY careful. You could, for example, write an update query in Access to update your Oracle tables. In order to do this, you'll need to set your ODBC connection to allow both reads and writes to Oracle. Be sure to change it back to read-only once you are done; otherwise, you are leaving a big security hole.

Tim

In Topic: Flow in Nested LS

28 September 2001 - 01:34 PM

Default Logic LS1 1
01 02
11 12
Default Logic LS2 2
21 22
31 32
23 24
33 34
03 04
13 14

In Topic: Printers not visible in GUI on Windows NT

06 September 2001 - 01:08 PM

I've seen a similar problem a few years ago. I had a client that wanted to set up printer mappings (LP1 - LP9) so that certain reports would go to specific printers. The method for doing this was to map all of the printers once, then distribute the proiv.ini file to all workstations. It worked fine on Windows 9x workstations, but NT workstations had trouble.
The method that we used to finally get it working was to make sure that all printers on the original machine (where we created the proiv.ini) and the NT workstations were installed in the exact same order.
Hope this helps...