Click the link below to see the new game I'm developing!

Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

Existence of PRO IV

17 replies to this topic

#16 GBabula

GBabula

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 05:54 PM

Not much PRO IV evangelism here, is there?

#17 DARREN

DARREN

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 10:15 PM

There are two separate points here that are getting interlaced.

Point 1 - Is PROIV as widely used as other 'popular' programming languages like V.B., Java, C etc. The answer is obviously no. This in my opinion is down to several factors but primarily because it was not marketed very well and because it was late in the game in getting into the GUI world. It is also not 'free' (and I use the term very loosely) compared with some other languages.

Point 2 - Is PROIV a robust language that delivers the business solution quickly in a cost effective manner. I am obviously biased, but the answer has to be yes. It is database and platform independent, fast and scalable with API's to and from other languages/technologies. Although I am not an 'expert' in Java, VB etc I would state that a competent PROIV programmer can deliver a business solution quicker (in PROIV) than in any other language.

And think on this...

If you are in the UK there is a 1 in 2 chance that you are being paid via a system written in PROIV, and when you drive through the center of London you get charged by a system written in PROIV.

...and with regard to the suggested direction of the PROIV technology made in a previous thread.....think bigger :rolleyes: .

Edited by DARREN, 27 March 2008 - 10:17 PM.

Things should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler

#18 Glenn Meyers

Glenn Meyers

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:I also raise African Gray Parrots and build hot rod automobiles.

Posted 28 March 2008 - 03:58 AM

Point 2 - Is PROIV a robust language that delivers the business solution quickly in a cost effective manner. I am obviously biased, but the answer has to be yes. It is database and platform independent, fast and scalable with API's to and from other languages/technologies. Although I am not an 'expert' in Java, VB etc I would state that a competent PROIV programmer can deliver a business solution quicker (in PROIV) than in any other language.

And think on this...

If you are in the UK there is a 1 in 2 chance that you are being paid via a system written in PROIV, and when you drive through the center of London you get charged by a system written in PROIV.

...and with regard to the suggested direction of the PROIV technology made in a previous thread.....think bigger :rolleyes: .
[/quote]

Daz,
I absolutely agree with you on the potential and the possibilities of ProIV.
the problem is and always will be the marketing/ownership of the language.

Given better leadership/marketing ProIV COULD be a killer language.
Ain't gonna happen, IMHO.

Glenn

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Click the link below to see the new game I'm developing!