#16 Mike Nicholson

Mike Nicholson

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 01:38 PM

Honestly Iam new to this luanguage but I am the Runtime Environ

I'm afraid then that you're stuffed. Although that last post explains the vagueness of your earlier posts :D

In order to check / modify the code you're going to need a development license. There's really no way around that (well no easy way and certainly no legal way).

As the last guest said, I'd suggest getting in a consultant, but the first thing they'll tell you is there's probably not much they can do without a development license.

Cheers

Mike

#17 George Macken

George Macken

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 03:17 PM

Hi

I have no experience of the application you are working on.

Prior to June 2006 when previously did the company execute billing twice in a month, or billing from what you refer to as the adjustment file. Is this the first time this has occurred?

Are the people who last did the process like this still around to check you've done it right, have you followed all of the necessary steps.

It may not be the functions, could be that some data "the adjustments" are still prestn in some file/table that is used in the billing process and they've not been cleared.

May I enquire as to what is the Monthly Revenue of Phone Bills, How much is being over-billed, is this a big company, can they pay for experience? More importantly can they afford the mistakes !!!!

Rgds

George

#18 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2006 - 03:20 PM

My company is taking me as thier proiv guru.

Luwapula

#19 Joseph Bove

Joseph Bove

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 03:23 PM

luwapula,

You are going to need to find out if your company has rights to the source code or not.

Even if you buy a ProIV development license, that would not necessarily help you if you don't have rights to the source code.

Your first step is really to find out where you stand with the application and the vendor.

hth,

Joseph

#20 Guest_Bewildered_*

Guest_Bewildered_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2006 - 05:06 PM

My company is taking me as thier proiv guru.

Luwapula,

You should walk into your managers office and tell him that if he doesn't give you the tools you need (Like...Ehm...Developmental Rights!!! :D ) that you won't be held responsible for what's happening.

If your company is going to rely upon you as their ProIV guru, and they won't even give you developmental rights...It sounds like a recipe for disaster that they are setting up to blame on their ProIV guru, and I'd start looking for a new job before they force you to :-" . Becuase without access to the code and the ability to place ProIV's wonderful, and helpful, UMSG's around...you're going to end up taking all the blame for this problem even though the company you work for doesn't even trust its ProIV guru with the tools that would be needed to create this problem in the first place :eek: . And everyone here knows knows what happens to the scapegoat that the company decides should get the blame for the errors of their money saving ways. :p

#21 Bob Filipiak

Bob Filipiak

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 01:23 PM

Luwapula,

I would take bewildered's advice - in one respect - you need access to the source code.

Only a complete IDIOT would expect a programmer to solve the problem without source code. Which does not say much for someone higher up in 'the food chain". Like bewildered, I fear you are being set up to fail. And I have seen this before. Fingers get pointed, and suddenly ITS ALL YOUR FAULT. Try to get another job LATER; with the cloud hanging over your head. WOM (word of mouth) will be your worst enemy jecause you will not have anything that can be used to clear your name.

Get out as quickly as you can; and hope that when the s--- hits the fan, you are long gone!!!! Meanwhile, my best advise is CYAWP - COVER YOUR ASS WITH PAPER. Write memos, document as best as you can, what or WHO is in the way of your trying to resolgve the situation.

Right now, I understand where you are at; as I know s--- about web servers, and putting up web pages; BUT I made that clear to the owner before I started this task. Both of us are proceeding "in the dark". BUT I know that I made that clear before I started out. Lots of luck - you may need it.

Bob Filipiak :D :eek:

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users