20 replies to this topic

#1 luwapula

luwapula

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 03:24 PM

Hie guys

I have a serious problem with my update functions.
The problem is of bringing up wrong balances(sub totals). It seems the functions is keeping on taking the previous billed trunk tickets , international calls and adjustments and these are being added in silently ie the description is not shown on the customers' statement. I can I correct this anomarlly?

Regards

luwapula

#2 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2006 - 02:25 AM

Without more information about the code, the only suggestion that can be given is to copy the files over to your DEV or TEST environment and do a SEL-ONLY on the one particular account and embed your functionality with heavy UMSG statements.

Good Luck.

#3 Neil Hunter

Neil Hunter

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 07:24 AM

How are you calculating sub totals ? Using scratch variables ? You clearing your scratch variables ?

#4 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2006 - 08:17 AM

I am not using scratch variables and I do not clear for future reference since the billing date will be used.

Regards

luwapula

#5 Neil Hunter

Neil Hunter

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 09:33 AM

Well, you not giving much to go on here ;)

Can't you explain yourself more with a simple example of what you update is trying to do ?

#6 Mike Schoen

Mike Schoen

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 01:03 PM

One thought, are you accumulating totals in a temporary file in 'B' mode?
We have found in the past that if we dont set the numeric values to 0 in the before-read logic, when a new record is created due to a key change, the numeric values can default from the previous record.

#7 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2006 - 01:58 PM

In the temp file , totals are accumulated in the 'A' mode and these adjustments are cleared in temp file during movement of them to perm file.

I have also observed that all adjustments that were billed for the last 2 months are coming back again.

I have not changed any of the functions and these functions were running perfectly for the past ten yrs.

I have regenned all the functions I thought are useful and intialised to zero the adjustment perm and temp file for last month , but still the July one were billed for August.

Luwapula

#8 George Macken

George Macken

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 02:45 PM

Hi

You are being very cryptic here, obviously not wanting to disclose the application/code you are working on.
Can you go back to the original supplier of this system with your bugs.

Otherwise post the source (even a print-out) of the function and hightlight what/where you think the problem is occurring.

Meanwhile I'm off now to chekc my phone bills !!!!

Rgds

George

#9 Mike Wright

Mike Wright

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Interests:I dance for money.

Posted 05 September 2006 - 03:08 PM

Just one thought - is it possible the functions had been modified (albeit wrongly) in the past but not genned?

This way, the genning would cause the problem. This has happened to us a couple of times in the past. You could always try to get a backup of the functions from a while back to check.

Failing that, fill the functions with user messages to check what numbers are being passed around. It might take a while, but you should solve it this way.

Good Luck

Mike
Magicians disappear all the time, but as soon as a regular person does it, everyone is all scared.

#10 George Macken

George Macken

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 03:22 PM

Following on from Mikes mail

could a Global Logic have been changed and that this change has only recently been picked up when your Updates last genned.

Rgds

George

#11 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2006 - 05:53 AM

And how then can I identify this Global update logic?

luwapula

#12 Mike Nicholson

Mike Nicholson

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 06:52 AM

And how then can I identify this Global update logic?

Erm, read the code ...

Seriously, if you want some decent help with this problem you need to give some more information. Preferably a code sample.

I can hazard a guess as to what system you're using - perhaps you're one of those naughty sites that is unlicensed ... ? :D

#13 George Macken

George Macken

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 11:29 AM

Hi

some more suggestions

Do you have both a DEV & Runtime Environment ?
In your DEV environment is there any controls, do you know what has changed recently ?

Are you familiar with Global Logcs & Global Functions?, have nay of these changed recently?
Are these referenced by your now "problematic" functions. Generally searching the logic(s) of the "problem" functions should identify where these Globals have been executed from.
(You mentioned the functions has not changed for 10yrs therefore there amay be no references to Global Functions.)

Have you a back-up of the LIVE pro-iv account from a point when there was no problem, can you restore this account to a "safe" location ? (Not over-writing your current accounts). Can you then export the relevant Functions from this back-up (just the run-time) and import them into LIVE again, without doing any re-gens. This way you'll get back the function un-changed from a point where they did work.

Additionally it my not be your pro-iv application, is the process/functions that are now problematic driven by by data-feeds/data-files from another system. Are there other system problem that you are being fed the wrong information to your "problem" functions.

Have there being any changes to your "systems" recently that could be causing the problem now showing in your business application.

hope this helps

Rgds

George

#14 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2006 - 11:43 AM

Hie guys

Like Goerge was asking.
Honestly Iam new to this luanguage but I am the Runtime Environ.
I also don't really understand the Global logics and Golbal functions.

This problem only emanated when we did create two(2) bills in the same month June 2006(due to some tariff increase in the mid of the month)

Iam using proiv version 4.00 running on the Unix platform.
The adjustment that were posted in the first bill of June are also being posted in the subsequent months even though I have physically created the adjustment file.
I will like Goerge said take the old back up of functions prior to the creation of the bills in one cycle and try to restore and run the bills.

Keep on feeding me with the suggestions

RGDS

luwapula

#15 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2006 - 12:25 PM

Hie guys

Like Goerge was asking.
Honestly Iam new to this luanguage but I am the Runtime Environ.
I also don't really understand the Global logics and Golbal functions.

This problem only emanated when we did create two(2) bills in the same month June 2006(due to some tariff increase in the mid of the month)

Iam using proiv version 4.00 running on the Unix platform.
The adjustment that were posted in the first bill of June are also being posted in the subsequent months even though I have physically created the adjustment file.
I will like Goerge said take the old back up of functions prior to the creation of the bills in one cycle and try to restore and run the bills.

Keep on feeding me with the suggestions

RGDS

luwapula

My suggestion is to get your company to pay for an experienced Pro-IV consultant to come in and work on their system.

If they already have one then get them to give you some help and advice.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users