The passing of Curtis Goodrich

8 replies to this topic

#1 Glenn Meyers

Glenn Meyers

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:I also raise African Gray Parrots and build hot rod automobiles.

Posted 29 March 2006 - 07:50 PM

This was forwarded to me Friday:

I received the following message from a good friend of Curtis. He asked me to pass this on to as many of Curtis' old buddies at PRO-IV as I could get hold of.

I quote

"It is with great sadness that I must report that our friend Curtis Goodrich succumbed in his long fight with cancer last night, and passed away at 11:05 PM.
I am sorry to inform you through a mass e-mail, but I wanted to make sure to get the word out to as many people as possible and we have not yet been able to get his phone book from the hospital as of yet. As soon as arrangements have been made, I will inform all on this list

With condolences,

Jeff hall"

Curtis was an original with ProIV and a good guy. We will miss him.

Glenn

#2 John Cummins

John Cummins

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 08:14 PM

Glenn,

This is certainly sad news. Curtis was not only a very good guy but a great help in the early days of Proiv. He was always fun to be with and had a great sense of humor.

John

#3 DARREN

DARREN

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 10:04 PM

I also had the good fortune to work with Curtis. He was a gentleman and a good programmer. A little trivia for those that did not know him - Curtis and another programmer were tasked to write the original import and export routines from PROIV and could not think of a file name to drive the process - so they invented one and hence DCTF or Dave and Curtis's Transfer File was born : )
Things should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler

#4 Chris Pepper

Chris Pepper

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 10:44 PM

It is so sad to hear this news... however just remembering Curtis brings back a smile. He was a great and generous guy. For some reason I particularly remember being invited back to his trailer to watch the first episode of Star Trek Voyager on his big screen.
He was also indirectly responsible for me getting my current job - he gave the company his seal of approval and gave me the right contact and number to call. That must have been nearly eleven years ago.

Condolences to all his friends and all those who knew him.

#5 Lewis Mccabe

Lewis Mccabe

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 05:46 AM

I have never been as stunned by this site as I was today. Sad news indeed. I consider myself lucky to have known him. How can you forget that big laugh and big smile? I can’t count the number of times he went above and beyond for us because it was simply the right thing to do.

I think I first met Curtis when he was at PCS. I remember liking the guy instantly. He was an honest, straight shooter, who liked to laugh, and loved PRO-IV. Curtis was our go to guy. Under UNIX, version 1.4 had a horrible 16 user limitation (iscollect wasn’t written yet). We knew iscollect was in the works because of Curtis and we sealed some good size deals because of that knowledge.

“Lew, it’s coming but it looks like it won’t be for another 3 months.”

Now this is information I could work with. It beats the life out of me why we couldn’t get this information officially.

A couple of years later McDonnell Douglas acquired PRO-IV. They had their 1st user/VAR conference in St. Louis soon after. Standing with the MD group were many from PCS including Curtis. MD staff got politely but solidly pummeled by the attendees. We weren’t angry with MD per se in as much as we had been waiting for 1.5 seemingly for ever. By the alpha demo they gave at the conference, most of us realized 1.5 was still a long way off. We liked what we saw but it would take time. Curtis kept us in the loop – I think much to the chagrin of MD. I’m not sure they realized what an asset he was. From a business prospective he helped immensely by contantly giving us the true scoop on 1.5 so we could plan our project schedule (remember, this is the mid 80’s – nice size projects were low hanging fruit). Later we were a beta site for 1.5. Curtis to the rescue again (and often). He made sure the developers were responsive to important issues. You could tell his goal was for a good 1.5 release.

Now on to McDonnell Douglas’s second user/VAR conference - in St. Louis again (I think in 1988). Now, you have to realize the circumstances. MD had a mess of a time getting 1.5 out the door, and it showed. On the first day, as I looked at the MD team, I noticed the only person I recognized from the first MD conference was Curtis. I couldn’t let this go unnoticed. I called my office.

On the last day of the conference, I presented Curtis with an embroidered red Polo shirt which read “I Survived Version 1.5001”. There was applause from all over the room. It was then that I realized just how many people he had helped and how many people felt the same way I did.

I knew Curtis for almost twenty years. I don’t think I ever heard him speak negatively about anyone. He was a gentleman and a true good guy. I will miss him.

Rest in peace, Curtis

#6 John Hamlin

John Hamlin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 05:19 PM

Sorry to hear about Curtis. Having been thru the days of 1.4 and 1.5 I certainly agree with everything said. He was a great guy and a great help. The one guy who if he didn't have the answer would get it for you. RIP

#7 Mike Peterson

Mike Peterson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 01:24 PM

I remember working with Curtis in 1987 at the Laguna Hills, CA ASC/PCS headquarters during the 1.4 to 1.5 transition time period as a fellow tech support rep. He was one of those guys you tried to stay in touch with. He was a well-respected colleague and could always be counted on for the tough tech support challenges. As a fellow PRO-IV pioneer, Curtis helped blaze the trail and his work is still a part of our everyday lives. Curtis was a living example of a person whose motive in life was simply love for his fellow human being and dedication to excellence in his work.

Thanks Curtis. Your life had a very positive effect on mine and I am eternally grateful. May the Lord Bless You and Keep You.

Mike Peterson

#8 Guest_Gil Holmes_*

Guest_Gil Holmes_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2006 - 04:39 PM

I also had the good fortune to have worked with Curtis. He was a superb colleague and as has been said previuosly, always tried to do right by customers and colleagues.

I first came across him in the PCS days around '85 - and as we two were somewhat the senior end of the team we always called each other "Old Fart" - great sense of fun.

He helped me enormously with all things QA related as we tried to get products out of the door.

My condolences to all his friends and family,

Gil.

#9 Kevin English

Kevin English

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Snow Skiing, Windsurfing, and of course programming

Posted 15 February 2007 - 11:57 PM

I happened on Curtis's name in another post on this forum and then searched,
finding, sadly enough this thread. I also knew Curtis back in the early 80's
and have also always thought of him as one of the true "good guys".
The world needs more people like Curtis and I hope he is now blessed with
eternal peace and happiness.
Curtis, we always loved you.
Bye

Kevin English

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users