Click the link below to see the new game I'm developing!

Photo

ALIAS command not working for Oracle Tables

5 replies to this topic

#1 Rob Donovan

Rob Donovan

rob@proivrc.com

• Admin
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 16 November 2003 - 02:17 AM

Track ID: BUG00001
Kernel Version: 5.5r308
Platform: Any

Fixed in: 5.5r323

The ALIAS command does not work for Oracle Tables.

It will work the first time a table is ALIASed in a ProIV session, then after that the ALIAS command is ignored for that table.

#2 George Macken

George Macken

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 09:45 AM

Rob

The ALIAS command

I've used it quite often, but only ever issue it once in the Def Lgc of LS1/LU1 of function.

I only ever thought ALIAS could be executed in the DEF LGC LS1 - in the early days od PRO-IV the usage of ALIAS was undocumented.

Where a function is to process many files by usage of ALIAS command, I'd precede the function with a function which selected the filename and then pass the file name in Comm Var to the function where the ALIAS and file processing is to occur

I've generally been using the ALIAS command of INPUT or OUTPUT of external ASCII files

Have also used it for the Create and ALIAS of pro-isam / c-isam workfile - but only ever needing to use the ALIAS once in the function

hth

George

#3 Rob Donovan

Rob Donovan

rob@proivrc.com

• Admin
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 09:55 AM

Hi,

I know that the ALIAS command should only be used in Function entry logic.

The ALIAS command has stopped working for ORACLE tables in Function entry logic.

When I state 'once', I mean each Oracle table can be ALIASed once within a ProIV session, and then it does not work again until you logout and back into ProIV. Not once per function.

ProIV LTD have acknowledged that it is a bug....

Thanks,

Rob D

#4 Mike Schoen

Mike Schoen

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 01:57 PM

This has been posted in other areas as well, but using the environment variable REPARSE=Y resolves this.

Pro-iv does not detect that changing an ALIAS requires reparsing the SQL statement, so it re-uses
the first query each time.

Yes, REPARSE=Y makes things run slower, but it has the benefit of pro-iv actually doing what you tell it to do :(

#5 Ross Bevin

Ross Bevin

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 01:44 PM

I just received an e-mail from Mike Monsef informing me that a new kernel has just been released, 5.5 r323 mfc 510, which fixes this problem. I have asked him to find out if I can now remove the REPARSE=Y work around. I will keep you posted.

Ross Bevin

#6 Ross Bevin

Ross Bevin

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 07:21 PM

I just received confirmation from Pro-IV that the REPARSE=Y setting can be removed once r323 has been installed.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Click the link below to see the new game I'm developing!