20 replies to this topic

#1 Wim Soutendijk

Wim Soutendijk

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 01:31 PM

The new pro-iv client 5.6.7.0 now uses registry keys in stead of pro4.ini settings.
to enable A report file type we have to set the following key:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PROIV Technology, Inc.\PROIV Windows Client\Settings]
"ReportFileType"="TXT"

The problem we have is that our users (xp workstations) are not allowed to update the registry themselves. So the system administrator will have to do that for them, but if they log on as Administrator account and add these keys to the registry as CURRENT_USER, they will have no affect for the end-user.

Are there any more sites out there with restricted security settings?
How do you update the registry?

#2 CSuarezdelReal

CSuarezdelReal

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 02:06 PM

I haven't tried this, but I think it would work:

Identify under HKEY_USERS a subkey beginning with S-1- (the user's SID). HKEY_CURRENT_USER is a mapping of HKEY_ USERS\user's SID. I would change the key there for any S-1- hive.
Claudio Suárez del Real
"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the ones most responsive to change."

#3 Wim Soutendijk

Wim Soutendijk

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 11:03 AM

Thank you, this might work.

Any changes in getting this automated?
We have over 300 pc where people could login to our pro-iv application, and because we have a lot of part-time workers, no pc will strictly be used by one user only.
Users can share PC's, but also when they have to assist in another office, work at multiple PC's, and we have a couple of settings which used to be in the pro4.ini file

#4 Joseph Bove

Joseph Bove

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 08:57 PM

Wim,

One suggestion for you. It is very EASY to build your own application login screen. We have all our users go into the application as user ---. This user is directed to an application login screen.

The user gets three tries to authenticate and is booted if they failed. If they succeed, we simply change @OPR and send them on their way.

It makes the pro4.ini much nicer!

hth,

Joseph

#5 Wim Soutendijk

Wim Soutendijk

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 07:02 AM

Joseph,

The pro-iv security is not my problem. We have our own logon screen and we set @OPR and @COMP to whatever we want. The main problem with the new client is the windows users.
The new client does not use pro4.ini anymore for settings like reportfiletype = TXT to get output to notepad, and to set application icons.
These settings are now stored in the registry as CURRENT_USER settings, which gives us big problems.
The standard windows user account is not allowed to modify the registry nor are these users allowed to install software. So we log in as Administrator in windows XP, install the new client, apply the registry settings for report file type etc, and log out.
When we log in as standard user again, the pro-iv client starts up under a different windows account than the administrator who installed the software, so for the registry, these keys are not set up...

We also found out that the file type association for .piv is stored only for the user who installed the new pro-iv client. So the standard users, cannot click on the proiv.piv icon to start up the pro-iv client.

I can't imagine we are the only company out there with lot's of (part time) windows users who have to work on the same computer
with pro4.ini it was relatively easy: set it up one time per computer and it's there for all users

Wim

#6 GBabula

GBabula

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 10:24 PM

One suggestion for you. It is very EASY to build your own application login screen. We have all our users go into the application as user ---. This user is directed to an application login screen.

Joseph,

Do you mean that you have your users first login on the PRO-IV logon screen with Operator ID "---", and then you link them to your own application screen?

Or are you somehow bypassing the Pro-IV Logon screen altogether?

~G

#7 Mike Nicholson

Mike Nicholson

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 11:23 PM

If you set the transparent logon flag and use the command line

pro

the logon screen will be bypassed. it's unusual for a user in a ProIV system to ever see the ProIV logon screen - most places I've worked logon security has all been handled prior to ProIV being called.

Cheers

Mike

#8 Chris Pepper

Chris Pepper

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 06:58 AM

Note for pedants!

The LOGON function is not bypassed, it just doesn't display the password screen for user input.

Also you must pass the User Id (and optional Company/Division) for Transparent Logon.

(none of this helps Wim of course... it looks like the developers had a bad case of "this is a good idea, and it works on MY system" - without considering the real world)

Edited by Chris Pepper, 23 September 2005 - 07:02 AM.

#9 Joseph Bove

Joseph Bove

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 06:43 PM

Gbabula,

Or are you somehow bypassing the Pro-IV Logon screen altogether?

Yes.

It consists of 2 settings in $OPR. The first is turning on the transparent login. The second is setting the link function to your new login screen.

Then, you may want to tighten down the security on your login screen user so that they cannot actually go anywhere other than the login screen. You can see the default function to OFF and also give them a time out value.

Regards,

Joseph

#10 Joseph Bove

Joseph Bove

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 06:49 PM

Wim,

The new client does not use pro4.ini anymore for settings like reportfiletype = TXT to get output to notepad, and to set application icons.

Ok... now I can sympathize with your problem a bit more. I think that the most powerful long term solution would be for a number of us to request that ProIV allow the application to override any such settings.

We run into the same problem with the application icon. For years, we've wanted to override it because we have 3 different applications in house. Having to route through Proiv.ini and now the registry is just not a workable solution...

Regards,

Joseph

#11 Bob Filipiak

Bob Filipiak

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 12:41 PM

Gents,

The Windows registry is one place I do not like to tread, so I very rarely ever go into it.

But, the last time I was there, I thought I saw some registry keys labelled (and it has been a while) "LOCAL MACHINE\SOFTWARE"; or something of that sort.

Perhaps, if we beg and grovel, PRO may find it in their best interest, now that they have foisted the registry on us; to allow "global" settings, which can be over ridden on a user by user basis.

The earlier post in this thread about users (and permissions) is 'on' as far as windows xp goes. If you do not have 'Administrator' privlidges, you are screwed.

The registry is MS's idea of a bad joke.

Bob Filipiak

#12 Wim Soutendijk

Wim Soutendijk

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 08:01 AM

Yes, I agree. A LOCAL_MACHINE would be much easier, as we can setup the installation as administrator, and then use the client as a current user.

for security reasons, my system admnistrator will not allow end users to have administrator rights, but it seems to be the only way to get the new client installed.

Wim Soutendijk

#13 George Macken

George Macken

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 12:04 PM

Hi Wim

We are using 5.5 but fortunately not the latest "client" that requires the registry settings etc.,

I can see your problems also being a MAJOR problem at out User site if we needed to use the later "clients"

It would be nice to know if these problems are PRO-IV top priority and will be gone before we all need to use these latest "clients".

Have you reported these issues to PRO-IV and has there been any reply with estimate of when an improved implementation of the client will be available ?

Rgds

George

#14 Wim Soutendijk

Wim Soutendijk

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 02:31 PM

George,

I have reported the problem to pro-iv, but they did not come back to me with a reference number.

#15 Mike Nicholson

Mike Nicholson

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 11:19 PM

Also you must pass the User Id (and optional Company/Division) for Transparent Logon.

Hmm, could have sworn I'd put that in there, although I put them in format. Does this forum ignore them in that case?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users