Oracle 8.1.7 64 bit

1 reply to this topic

#1 Kevin Meyer

Kevin Meyer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 04:26 PM

Greetings all! I seem to have made a mistake in that we upgraded our hpux to 11.0 64 bit and now we have upgraded our oracle to 8.1.7 64 bit. I have to relink the proiv kernel and I am getting an error 'ld: /ora/product/817/lib/libserver8.a: Not a valid library (invalid magic number). Possibly a 64-bit PA archive library (Mismatched
ABI).
Well, now Glovia is is telling me that the proiv kernel does not support 64 bit oracle. I was led to believe that while it didn't take advantage of the 64 bit we could still run Oracle in 64 bit mode. We have been running oracle 8.1.7 for 4 days now while the kernel is linked to the 816 libraries. Am I messed up or what? I don't seem to be having any problems as of yet but I don't like the idea of having proiv linked to 816 libraries.

Questions:
1. Does Proiv have a kernel that operates 64 bit?
2. Can Glovia run on that kernel (even though they may not say you can)?
3. What are the ramifications if I leave the 816 libraries in place and don't rebuild the kernel?

Thanks,
Kevin

#2 lastenia_rojas

lastenia_rojas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 03:02 PM

An Oracle installation has two components: the server part and the client part. ProIV links to the libraries that comprise the client part of the Oracle installation.

Both, the Oracle server and client parts can be 32 or 64 bits. On the server portion, having an Oracle 64 bit installation allows Oracle to address more than 4Gigs of memory. Performace wise there's not much difference between the 32 and 64 bit versions of the server.

Applications (e.g. ProIV) linked to the 32 bit version of the Oracle client can access 64 bit Oracle servers. So I suggest you keep the 64 bit version of Oracle that you installed and install the 32 bit client. Then link the ProIV kernel against the 32 bit client.

Questions:
1. Does Proiv have a kernel that operates 64 bit?

Not that I'm aware of.

2. Can Glovia run on that kernel (even though they may not >    say you can)?

3. What are the ramifications if I leave the 816 libraries > in place and don't rebuild the kernel?

8.1.6 is no longer supported by Oracle plus it's less stable that 8.1.7

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users