v6.2 function keys

9 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 12:56 PM

I am new to proiv and am looking at using function keys, is there a way to use undefined function keys, I am using v6.2 also if there is good tech docs that wouls be helpful as well.

Thank you

#2 DARREN

DARREN

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 03:49 PM

Yes there is Paul. It is the primary method for defining events e.g. click a button/icon and then go do something.

The PROIV support documents are a bit cryptic but go to the following support website and search for topic 500167.

http://support.proiv...cumentation.htm

Programmer defined function keys run from 33 to 132 on version 6 (33 to 240 on version 8). They are defined at the cycle level (each cycle has its own set of 33 to 132) but !!! they can inherit down i.e. an inner cycle can 'inherit' the function keys of the parent/calling cycle if they are not overwritten at the child cycle level.

Making the assumption that you are using PROIV developer (VIP), open/create a screen function and navigate to statics. Define an icon/button and click on the Events tab within the properties. Enter a user-defined function key e.g. 33 and click on the function key icon to the right of the input. This will open up a function key properties dialogue. Select an action type e.g. Local Logic and define a suitable logic e.g. UMSG('hello world',-1). Gen and run.

Things should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler

#3 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 01:13 PM

Sorry didn't mention I am using the "green screen" env. to dev.

#4 DARREN

DARREN

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 02:56 PM

And what 'client' does your run time application present in i.e. Windows GUI (PROIV Windows Client) or Green Screen.

#5 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 03:58 PM

green screen

#6 DARREN

DARREN

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 04:18 PM

So...in what context are you hoping to use function keys...as you cannot 'click' on anything to invoke an event. Can you provide a use case for the problem you are trying to solve.

#7 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 08:18 PM

user is running a function that displays a number of menu options I would like them to press a function key to display a list of sub menus, I cannot use f4 it is already being used for something.

#8 DARREN

DARREN

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 10:56 PM

Yes, that can be achieved. I need to do a little research as I have not worked in green screen for nearly 20 years. You should also read up on the FNKEYSTACK logic command (topic 500551), as this works in green screen as well and may be useful to you in the future.

#9 Wim Soutendijk

Wim Soutendijk

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 08:07 AM

If memory serves me well control F1 is function key 33, etc

#10 DARREN

DARREN

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 05:18 PM

Hi Paul.

I have done a little research and think I have an understanding of how it all works.

A feature exists that allows you to define up to 10 'user defined' function keys. They are actually not user defined as they are associated with the terminal type that is being referenced e.g. DECVT220.

These function keys, when defined, invoke the first 10 programmer definable function keys i.e. 33-42. As mentioned, they are defined in the terminal type characteristics definition screen which from memory is the $CRT function in the old green screen environment. i.e. run $CRT

I have attached a screen shot of what the terminal type user function key definition screen (tab) looks like in Developer for the terminal definition GUIDEV. These 'escape sequences' translate to the key combination CTRL and the number 1 through 10 respectively in this example. Thus is <CTRL>1 is pressed, function key 33 would be invoked and <CTRL>2 would invoke function key 34 etc. You can define them to be anything you want but I would recommend sticking with the <CTRL> as part of the definition e.g. you could define <CTRL>W to be the first escape sequence key (that internally invokes function key 33). Be careful as some are reserved, <CTRL>C  being an obvious one. 

Hope the above helps

Attached Thumbnails

• UserFunctionKeyDefinition.PNG

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users