3 replies to this topic

#1 mikelandl

mikelandl

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 02:35 PM

I looked at ProIV's documentation regarding creating memory files (topic ID 720293) and it has left me more confused than enlightened.

I took the simple approach of changing the file type of one of our existing "working files" and regenning all functions that reference it. It seems to have made no difference at all in execution speed of the report I was testing. The documentation also mentions adding an entry to pro4v7.ini which I did but it still makes no difference. 

Help!

#2 Ross Bevin

Ross Bevin

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 04:04 PM

Hi Mike,

We also tested out the speed difference between normal Pro-ISAM files and memory files and found very little difference in the read/write speed. I would have to assume that with modern day disk caching a normal Pro-ISAM temp file is probably residing in memory most of the time anyway.

Regards

Ross

#3 mikelandl

mikelandl

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 07:39 PM

Thanks Ross, that makes sense, although I must admit I was hoping for slightly better results!  :lol:

Do you have much experience with memory-based sort files? If so have you noticed substantial results with those?

Thanks.

#4 Ross Bevin

Ross Bevin

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 08:14 PM

Hi Mike,

No I don't. I believe I tested that out too when this feature was released and again, did not notice much of a difference. I would be interested to hear if you do.

Regards

Ross

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users