3 replies to this topic

#1 DARREN

DARREN

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:44 PM

Has anyone made use of the function caching feature in version 7. If so, what performance improvements have you seen. I was reading through a previous post (http://www.proivrc.c...7-gu-vs-lu-cost) on this subject and have always been aware that there is a performance overhead when calling global functions repetitively in a given process. Function caching seems to go a long way in resolving this. We are about to use this feature and I wanted to find out if anyone had any previous experience with it.
Things should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler

#2 mikelandl

mikelandl

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:54 PM

Has anyone made use of the function caching feature in version 7. If so, what performance improvements have you seen. I was reading through a previous post (http://www.proivrc.c...7-gu-vs-lu-cost) on this subject and have always been aware that there is a performance overhead when calling global functions repetitively in a given process. Function caching seems to go a long way in resolving this. We are about to use this feature and I wanted to find out if anyone had any previous experience with it.

I don't have any experience with this but would also be interested to hear if anyone has used it.

#3 DARREN

DARREN

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:44 PM

Mike

We are on Version 7 on all environments. We have turned on function caching and there is a noticable difference. Cannot give you specific statistics yet as I have not performed benchmark tests, but our system if definately running faster. We doubled the default memory allocation setting from 2MB to 4MB because we have loads of memory. Just a heads up.

Things should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler

#4 Neil Mellis

Neil Mellis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:56 AM

Darren,

defiantly worth using if your application has some big recursive updates or reports. I saw 20% improvement in some of the banking tests I did here. The only down side is that complex screens with a lot call outs can hog memory a bit. It would be really nice if the cache could be flushed within proiv currently it flushes when full. I remember also setting up the environments dependant on user type - i.e. only allow big report/update users to use it. Moving some of these processes to batch and caching for batch processes only is also an option.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users