3 replies to this topic

#1 mikelandl

mikelandl

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:39 PM

I have a function that reads through all records of a particular ProIsam file and outputs the contents to a text file (aliased from a sequential file). It works fine when dealing with English data but when I try running it for a file that contains French data any characters that contain an accent do not output properly (i.e. gets output as <89>). I would imagine this is an encoding issue but am not sure how to fix it. I have changed my regional settings to French Canadian in Windows and in the ProIV client changed the "Resource File" to "ProivRes_French_Candian.dll". In the ProIV client I have tried having the "Conversion Method" as "NO_CODE_CONVERSION", had the "Conversion Method" as "CODE_PAGE_CONVERSION" and the "Server Code Page" as "65001 UTF-8" as well as "863 OEM CanadianFrench". None of those combinations have worked. Any thoughts/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Ross Bevin

Ross Bevin

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:10 PM

Hi Mike,

My client is Canadian and we needed to handle French Canadian as well. I recently posted the same question on the ProIV Forum website and this is what Jamie from ProIV advised me to do. We have changed our system to these settings and all works well.

Regards
Ross

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Use the Western European codepage iso8859-1 which covers French/French Canadian.
MFC settings would be 'ProivRes_French_Canadian' and 'CODE_PAGE_CONVERSION' with Server Code Page set to '28591 (ISO 8859-1 Latin I)
In pro4v7.ini/Virtual Machine Environment settings - JAVA_STRING_CHARSET=ISO8859-1

There is a 3rd option of using the older French Canadian specific codepage of 863, but this is obsolete and we recommend the other options over this one.

If you have any further questions, please ask.

Jamie

#3 mikelandl

mikelandl

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:47 PM

Hi Mike,

My client is Canadian and we needed to handle French Canadian as well. I recently posted the same question on the ProIV Forum website and this is what Jamie from ProIV advised me to do. We have changed our system to these settings and all works well.

Regards
Ross

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Use the Western European codepage iso8859-1 which covers French/French Canadian.
MFC settings would be 'ProivRes_French_Canadian' and 'CODE_PAGE_CONVERSION' with Server Code Page set to '28591 (ISO 8859-1 Latin I)
In pro4v7.ini/Virtual Machine Environment settings - JAVA_STRING_CHARSET=ISO8859-1

There is a 3rd option of using the older French Canadian specific codepage of 863, but this is obsolete and we recommend the other options over this one.

If you have any further questions, please ask.

Jamie

Hi Ross, thanks for the suggestions. I tried that but still no luck. I'm wondering if it is something to do with the encoding our client is currently using (1252 - ANSI Latin1). I'll post something on ProIV's forum to see if Jamie has any ideas.

#4 Ross Bevin

Ross Bevin

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:22 PM

Hi Mike,

Yes, Jamie had us set the Client to use '28591 (ISO 8859-1 Latin I)'.

Regards
Ross

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users