Photo
- - - - -

how to obtain the ip address in open client?

7 replies to this topic

#1 lawalton

lawalton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:19 PM

Does anyone know how to obtain the ip address of the computer when a user signs in through open client?
Client.ipaddress only seems to work with the MFC client. In open client, a long string (30+) of alphanumerics is returned.

#2 George Macken

George Macken

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:44 AM

Hi

I've not personally tackled this problem before.
Is it possible to execute as part of logon to your pro-iv application a system command (something like ipconfig) on the client pc ... that outputs the results to a text file ... then acess this text file for the IP address.
There are commands CLIENT.Execute, CLIENT.Send, CLIENT.Receive which may be helpful in executing commands and file-handling on client pc.

I'll also chase one of my colleagues who may know more in this area.
Plus have you tried pro-iv support as they are generally helpful with such queries.

Hope this helps

George

#3 Matthews Estrice

Matthews Estrice

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:11 PM

Hi Lawalton,
Open Client uses Javascript to obtain information in the local machine.Most of the 'Client.' Commands are being replaced by Javascripts(JSON) and are located within appObjects in the Open Client folder.You javascript has to be within the servlet containor in order to be access over the URL.

You can google the IP Address javascript and using it the simple html web page and run it on your machine even without PROIV,the javascript should return an IP address.

You can refer to my web site www.proinvestors.co.uk,see if you can see your IP Address.

Is you proiv application hosted?

Open Client = HTML + JS.

I would write a web page with the JSON(javascript) and pace it under the Open Client folder and call it over the URL to display the IP Address.

I hope this help.

Matthews

#4 NickPartridge

NickPartridge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:18 PM

Not sre if this is of any help, but we had a similar requirement - but to access both the IP address and MAC address of the client. We're running Glovia 4.6 on linux so we're very limited in what we can do.
We got round this by installing a product called SAMBA ( which enables Glovia to access a windows fiolder directly - and I believe that it's a free utility )
When the user logs into glovia, we call a custom written subroutine which calls a SYSTEM GUI command which pipes "ipconfig /all" into a text file named "TERM_ID".txt where the TERM_ID is the allocated @TERM from Glovia.
This file is written to the "shared SAMBA" folder. The same soubroutine then open up the text file using an ALIAS pointing to the newly created file and searches for the IP address & MAC address.
This was the only way we could think of of passing data from a client into Glovia.

#5 Matthews Estrice

Matthews Estrice

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:31 PM

Greetings

"There are commands CLIENT.Execute, CLIENT.Send, CLIENT.Receive which may be helpful in executing commands and file-handling on client pc."

Are they now working in AURORA and OC within the PROIV logic?

Please share some light.

Regards,

Matthews

#6 lawalton

lawalton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 03:25 PM

Thanks for everyone's responses.  I started working on another tangent and never replied.  I didn't try using CLIENT.Execute, CLIENT.Send, CLIENT.Receive in open client.  I found that using the open client Session Identifier was more useful for our purposes, so I didn't research obtaining the ip address any further.

#7 DARREN

DARREN

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 06:58 PM

CLIENT.Execute is ignored when running in the Open Client for security reasons. 

Things should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler

#8 Matthews Estrice

Matthews Estrice

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 03:36 PM

We have used Browser.URL ActiveX Control for Open Client and Thin Client to execute and pass parameters to the URL and call a 3rd party web app.Its tested and it works fine on Open Client.

Thank you to people who contributed.

Matthews Estrice

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users