6 replies to this topic

#1 Kai

Kai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:27 AM

Hi all.

I am new user of PROIV 6.2. I would like to ask some stupid question.

I did explore for how to set the XML tag in static variable in control break. So far I know it is impossible to set it directly. I found there was some suggestion like LSCALL on control break. However, I am still no idea with that.

In my report, control break normally is using to calculate subtotal. I had tried to cancel all of the control break and add more level of report cycle to calculate the subtotal. I am succeed in retrieve the subtotal in correct value. However, I am been assigned to explore more easier and flexible method to solve this problem because there are still have many of them using the same technique ( control break to calculate subtotal ) in our project's reports. It would be very take time to edit all of them.

Therefore, I would like to ask is there have any other method to retrieve the value and convert into XML without edit too much of them?

Thanks you and sorry for my poor English.

Kai.

#2 Abstract Typist

Abstract Typist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:05 AM

Your English is fine.

I don't use XML with ProIV nor do I use V6, but I will throw out a suggestion in case it is any use..

Do report headers not contain XML tags for their content, and if so can't you attach a header to the control break and produce the output that way?

#3 DARREN

DARREN

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:00 PM

Only Dynamic controls (function, cycles and fields) are output when PROIV generates an XML report. Static controls (headers and vertical totals) are not output in XML. If control totals are required then you have to construct them yourself and define them as dynamic controls within the report. See the attached example.

Attached Thumbnails

• XMLTotalsExample.png

Things should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler

#4 Kai

Kai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:41 AM

Your English is fine.

I don't use XML with ProIV nor do I use V6, but I will throw out a suggestion in case it is any use..

Do report headers not contain XML tags for their content, and if so can't you attach a header to the control break and produce the output that way?

Thanks for your suggestion.
Report headers do not contain XML tags, as DARREN said, only functions, cycles and fields are contain of XML Tags.

Only Dynamic controls (function, cycles and fields) are output when PROIV generates an XML report. Static controls (headers and vertical totals) are not output in XML. If control totals are required then you have to construct them yourself and define them as dynamic controls within the report. See the attached example.

Hi Darren.
Thanks for your suggestion. The method is what I meant on the post actually. I found this is the way to get the subtotals. However, if I use this method to generate XML code, there are bulk of reports and they need to be modified one by one, the flow of the structure also need to be edit. I am trying is it possible have some other way to get the subtotals without edit too much of them.

I am really appreciate for your replies. THANKS.

Is it possible that I use the previous report (in .txt) and read the .txt file line by line and convert them into PDF using third party program?

Again, thanks to all of you about the reply. Posted Image

#5 Chris Mackenzie

Chris Mackenzie

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:49 PM

Your English is fine.

Report headers do not contain XML tags, as DARREN said, only functions, cycles and fields are contain of XML Tags.

Hi Darren.
Thanks for your suggestion. The method is what I meant on the post actually. I found this is the way to get the subtotals. However, if I use this method to generate XML code, there are bulk of reports and they need to be modified one by one, the flow of the structure also need to be edit. I am trying is it possible have some other way to get the subtotals without edit too much of them.

Is it possible that I use the previous report (in .txt) and read the .txt file line by line and convert them into PDF using third party program?

Haven't tried this myself but you might capture the totals in the control break logic like this

#var-name = VERT-TOT(file-var)

and then use then as xml attributes of whichever xml tag is appropriate in your report.

There are tools around to create pdf from text but you should check out using xsl stylesheets to automatically transform your pro-iv xml output to pdf.
The content and views expressed in this message are those
of the poster and do not represent those of any organisation.

#6 DARREN

DARREN

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:07 PM

You could do that, but that would defeat the purpose of using XML. Another option is to enhance the process that is consuming the XML to create the control totals for you. In any case development work is required to obtain the control totals - it is just a case of where that development work is conducted.
Things should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler

#7 Kai

Kai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:50 AM

Your English is fine.

Hi Darren.

Haven't tried this myself but you might capture the totals in the control break logic like this

#var-name = VERT-TOT(file-var)

and then use then as xml attributes of whichever xml tag is appropriate in your report.

There are tools around to create pdf from text but you should check out using xsl stylesheets to automatically transform your pro-iv xml output to pdf.

Hi, Chris.
Thanks for your suggestion and I will try it Posted Image.

You could do that, but that would defeat the purpose of using XML. Another option is to enhance the process that is consuming the XML to create the control totals for you. In any case development work is required to obtain the control totals - it is just a case of where that development work is conducted.

Yes, I also feeling that would defeat the purpose of using XML. I will try several way and tell my supervisor the pros and cons about each of the method.

Thanks you very much of concern about my question.

Edited by Kai, 14 August 2012 - 03:52 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users