PROIV Service Manager fails after Windows updates

12 replies to this topic

#1 balford

balford

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 04:55 PM

Since yesterday, three of our clients are reporting that when opening the PROIV Service Manager they get "Trouble in server connection. Server error code :Code 1734(winerror.h)" errors. This is after recent Windows updates were applied and the server or workstation was rebooted. This is being reported for both Version 5 and 6 of PROIV>

The operating systems involved are Server 2003, Server 2003 R2 and Windows XP. Anyone else experiencing this?

#2 Lewis Mccabe

Lewis Mccabe

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 03:39 AM

Yes,

This has been reported to PROIV. They have given it a high priority and already have a proposed fix which has to go through approval and QA. It relates to Windows update KB982802 and they don't recommend you uninstalling the update.

From our testing, PROIV continues to work but you do not get any entries in the service manager to appear.

Lew

#3 tyhooi

tyhooi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:43 AM

Dear Lew,

Good day.

So when will proiv fix this issue?

regards,
Tan

#4 Lewis Mccabe

Lewis Mccabe

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:47 PM

This issue has been fixed in 6.2.47

#5 tyhooi

tyhooi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:36 AM

Dear Lew,

Thanks....

regards,
Tan

#6 Lewis Mccabe

Lewis Mccabe

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 04:25 AM

You're welcome Tan.

FYI - There is a new build out - 6.2.52

Lew

#7 Amy

Amy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:37 PM

Hi. I use the PROIV Service Manager to "Kill" sessions when necessary. If my users are frozen and cannot disconnect, can someone suggest another way to "kill" them? They are using Version 5.5 Revision 3.2.5 so the fix does not apply to them.

Thanks for you help, Amy

#8 Donald Miller

Donald Miller

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycling, Running, Cooking

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:19 AM

Morning Amy

I'm guessing you already know this and that you're not gonna like it: get everyone to logoff and stop and re-start the Pro IV service manager.

Didn't think you'd like it.

p.s. I haven't tried this - it's only a suggestion - but you did ask.

Donald
Half of what he said meant something else, and the other half didn't mean anytthing at all

#9 Lewis Mccabe

Lewis Mccabe

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 04:46 PM

Amy,

We have had limited success killing the PROIV client process on the PC. This does not always work and sometimes locked records are not released but it is an option.
Lew

#10 Amy

Amy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:45 PM

Morning Amy

I'm guessing you already know this and that you're not gonna like it: get everyone to logoff and stop and re-start the Pro IV service manager.

Didn't think you'd like it.

p.s. I haven't tried this - it's only a suggestion - but you did ask.

Donald

Hi Donald, To tell you the truth I was afraid to stop and re-start because that is also done in the Service Manager and WHAT IF I CAN'T RE-START????? I'm nervous that the system I have written for my customer might be made unavailable.....

#11 Amy

Amy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:52 PM

Amy,

We have had limited success killing the PROIV client process on the PC. This does not always work and sometimes locked records are not released but it is an option.
Lew

Hi Lewis - hate to admit this but I am confused... are you talking about killing the PROIV client through the Service Manager or do you do it another way? Thanks for your help....

Amy

#12 Lewis Mccabe

Lewis Mccabe

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:16 PM

Kill the Windows process on the client. Run the task manager (cntrl+alt+delete) on the client. If you are on version 6, the PROIV client should show up on the Applications tab. You can kill it there. Otherwise go to the process tab and kill proiv.exe process. If user has more than one PROIV session open, you will see more than one process entry for proiv.exe. (or application tab). Make sure you are killing the correct one. If in doubt, have the user log off properly on all PROIV client sessions and then kill the one which is hung. Sometimes you can see which session is hung because task manager will show 'not responding'.
HTH

Lew

#13 Donald Miller

Donald Miller

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycling, Running, Cooking

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:15 PM

Lewis/Amy

I'm on version 5.5 release 3.2.5 too and tested Lewis's suggestions and the session logged on (but not hung) could be seen in both tabs for the Windows Task Manager (CTRL+ALT+Delete), Applications and Process. When Ended in the Applications tab the session was killed.

But as Lewis indicated, you'll have to do this on the actual machine that is hung (unless there is some way of doing this with supervisor priviledges via the network...)

At least now you know on your release it CAN be done (for a "not hung" process anyway).

Worth a try....

Good luck

Donald
Half of what he said meant something else, and the other half didn't mean anytthing at all

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users