#1 mikelandl

mikelandl

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 05:55 PM

Hi all,

Something that has always bugged me, and is now becoming more of an issue for us, is having to wait for a file to be fully transferred (using either client.put() or client.get()), before the user can continue on their merry way. This isn't an issue for files that are a few hundred kb or less but we've started transferring files that are a few mb in size (sometimes as many as 15-20 of these files at once) and depending on the user's connection and proximity to the server this can sometimes take a few minutes or more.

Now to the point, has anyone come up with a work around for this issue? It would be nice to be able to run client.put/get and be able to indicate to run the file transfer on a separate thread but that's not going to happen.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Jim

Jim

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:06 AM

Two suggestions, though I have't worked these through myself so they may turn out to be impractical, and at best are a bit hackish. They would also likely mandate a client side change to stop security messages on the client computer.

1 - Use the SYSTEM GUI ASYNC command to initiate an ftp pull on the client machine from the server

2 - Use the SYSTEM GUI ASYNC with a web facing http address where the files are available. This 'should' launch a browser where the download bar would indicate download progress - you could put the files behind some security filter so the web server would prompt for username / password and possibly maintain some session state and therefore only ask for credentials for the first download during the session.

Regards,
Jim.

#3 mikelandl

mikelandl

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:33 PM

Two suggestions, though I have't worked these through myself so they may turn out to be impractical, and at best are a bit hackish. They would also likely mandate a client side change to stop security messages on the client computer.

1 - Use the SYSTEM GUI ASYNC command to initiate an ftp pull on the client machine from the server

2 - Use the SYSTEM GUI ASYNC with a web facing http address where the files are available. This 'should' launch a browser where the download bar would indicate download progress - you could put the files behind some security filter so the web server would prompt for username / password and possibly maintain some session state and therefore only ask for credentials for the first download during the session.

Regards,
Jim.

Thanks for the ideas Jim.
I'm kind of leaning towards your second idea. I'll hash it out and see what I can come up with.
Thanks again.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users