PRO-IV Web Client

13 replies to this topic

#1 jimpenz

jimpenz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 06:55 PM

Is there anyone that is using a browser such as IE or Mozilla to access their PRO-IV legacy applications?

If so is it Java Based?

Very interested in this topic?

#2 George Macken

George Macken

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:15 PM

Hi Jim

Take a look at this earlier posting

http://www.proivrc.c...c...&hl=browser

I believe the following is an extract from the pro-iv documentation on web/open client

Supported Browsers:

• Microsoft Internet Explorer versions 6 to 8
  • Mozilla Firefox version 3
  • Apple Safari (Windows or iMac) versions 3 and 3.1 are supported.
  • Other internet browsers may work with ProIV but are not tested against.
Rgds

George

#3 Guest_Steve H_*

Guest_Steve H_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2010 - 05:39 PM

Having done extensive testing I can confirm that in my opinion

Safari version 4.0.4 is the best

Firefox version 3.5.7 also works very well

Chrome version 3.0.195.32 is very good

IE Version 8.060 is the worst of the bunch and the least reliable

I guess that Northgate are working on the IE issues!

Hope this helps - best of luck

Steve Houghton

#4 DARREN

DARREN

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 08:02 PM

So as an experiment I re-wrote one of our web pages in PROIV for rendition in the Open client. I think you will agree that the results are nothing short of spectacular.

The more I learn about this product the more appreciate how soficticated and cleaver it really is. The cascading style sheets are the key to all this. For those of you not familiar with CSS they provide a way to set property values against objects in a higherarchical (cascading) fashion. PROIV Open client comes with a default CSS, but you can copy it (or bits of it) to make your own custom one and then modify any of the properties witihin. For example, if you want all your format text to be tahoma, san serif then you can simply amend the font family setting accordingly. What I have also learned (as I have only been doing this for 1/2 a day) is that there are additional attributes that can be set depending on the type of object. For example, I added additional attributes of margin: 0 5px 4px 0 and padding:1px 0 1px 2px.

The real beauty in all of this is that the screens written in PROIV can be rendered to match those used in any web application, thus the PROIV application and the web app can be intergrated as a single presentation.

Now the realy powerfull bit. Development in PROIV is at least 10 times faster than that in Java (in my oppinion). So PROIV developers can now deliver applications to the web in a fraction of the time that has been able to be achieved historically. This does not mean that the scripted languages are redundant as far as PROIV is concerned as they can do some pretty cool stuff and are very granular. But for the day to day capture and retrieve screens like the examples attached, they are not even in the same league.

Attached Images

• UserMaintenanceInJava.png
  • UserMaintenanceInPROIVOpenClient.png

Things should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler

#5 DARREN

DARREN

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 12:58 PM

Just thought I would post a few screen shots of the side project I have been working on for Open Client. This is all PROIV rendered though Open Client. I tweeked the Open Client CSS settings to match our web application (so they look the same).

Attached Images

• ClaimsSearch.png
  • ClaimsEntryStart.png
  • ClaimsEntryPolicyInfo.png
  • ClaimsEntryLossInfo.png
  • ClaimsEntryContactInfo.png
  • ClaimsEntrySummaryInfo.png
  • ClaimsSummary.png
  • ClaimsDiary.png
  • ClaimsAlerts.png
  • ClaimsAddressSummary.png
  • ClaimsAddressEdit.png
  • ClaimsDiaryByUserGroup.png

• FGX likes this

#6 JamesS

JamesS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 06:22 AM

Open Client is supported in the browsers listed - althought IE 6 is very limited - its pretty old and all the new development is happening in IE8.

Thanks for all the postive feedback I will pass it on to the team.

james

#7 Guest_Steve H_*

Guest_Steve H_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:34 AM

James

Has anybody tested it yet on the IPAD?

Regards
Steve

#8 JamesS

JamesS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:39 AM

James

Regards
Steve

Nope - we've not got one - but we do have an iMac running Safari so I would imagine that it would work - to be honest ffx and safari seem to be the most w3c compliant. The earlier IE versions are shocking; chrome seems to be catching them up.

A good example in browser differences would be the use of browser DOM storage API, we need this to implement remeber setting one column sizes but that will limit us to the newer browsers.

James

#9 DARREN

DARREN

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 12:29 PM

We have completely withdrawn support for our java based browser application on I.E. 6. Our developers will not go near it with a 10 foot pole. I.E. 8 is better, but is still noticeably inferior to FireFox/Safari. MS should have just pulled the plug on it as they know it has serious issues/design flaws.

#10 DARREN

DARREN

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:47 PM

For some reason I cannot add new attachments to threads on this forum, so I have updated the thread on the www.proiv.com knowledge base site. The url is http://www.proiv.com...s/list/218.page and is an addendum to this thread.

#11 Guest_matc_*

Guest_matc_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2010 - 03:01 PM

For some reason I cannot add new attachments to threads on this forum, so I have updated the thread on the www.proiv.com knowledge base site. The url is http://www.proiv.com...s/list/218.page and is an addendum to this thread.

Darren,

If you don't mind me asking approximately how many users do you have using this system over the web? And what is the stability like?

#12 Matthews Estrice

Matthews Estrice

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:39 PM

I am having a problem Mini Opera Browser on wi-fi,I get a security error.
I am also having a problem with Windows Mobile,no action listeners on hyper-links on PROIV menu.
I am currently testing with the emulator and I am getting good results.I have attached the picture.ProMobile.png

Regards,
Matthews Estrice

#13 Neil Hunter

Neil Hunter

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:26 AM

James

Regards
Steve

Anyone doing anything with Ipads? Have done some rudimentary testing with the demo suite of programs

#14 Matthews Estrice

Matthews Estrice

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:15 AM

Greetings to all,
I have tested PROIV version 7 on Open Client on Android 2.2 platform on the iPad 7" screen,it is looking good except that the function keys aren't working.I have to double click the combobox to window and double click to select the record on the combobox.

I have tested PROIV version 7 on Windows Mobile browser on Jasjar iMate HTC,no luck.PROIV is complaining about the screen resolution size is small.I wrote SSOs and deployed them as a .war file on port 8443 of PROIV version 7,they are cross-browsers and working fine with most of the mobile handsets.Since port 8443 of PROIV version 7 web application is fully J2EE compatible,I am intending to deploy JSF (Java Server Faces) (ICEFaces) as front-end of mobility solution on PROIV and it is cross-browser compatible for major mobile browser such as blackberry and windows mobile still keeping the business rules in PROIV.I have a business proposal on my table already,I do not see PROIV being a full mobile solution on its own at this point and time.If someone has PROIV working without a third party software,please help us.Thank you to PROIV for allowing the FULL deployment of J2EE and J2SE Web application on port 8443.We can now deploy any programs that are written in JAVA packaged as .war.

Regards,

Matthews

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users