• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Programming
    Family
    Sports
    Auto repair

Posted 20 February 2009 - 06:36 PM

Hello All

We are migrating our code from 5.5 to 6.1. All of our code is in VIP 5.5927. The PROIV release notes for 6.1.57.0 state the following:

'PROIV Version 6 is not genfile compatible with PROIV Version 5; the only upgrade path is to export your source code from Version 5 and import into Version 6 and then build your functions. To do this we recommend that you are on the latest maintenance release of PROIV Version 5.5. Please refer to the PROIV website for the latest release on your platform. You must have a minimum of 5.5r517or 5.5r518 and the minimum version of VIP 5.5932.

In addition to providing an export format suitable for import into PROIV Version 6, the 5.5.932 release of VIP also allows for export of other non function source (for example security settings) this is referred to as Non-Source Export. An enhanced version of Non-Source Export, supporting more object types, was introduced in VIP 5.5949, and the matching import functionality was introduced in PROIV Developer 6.1.10.0. Non-Source Export is explained in detail below. Attempting to import a VPX generated by a VIP version earlier to 5.5932 may corrupt the Version 6 installation.'

So, we have been installing our code on an intermediate client that has VIP version 5.594, then we export it out of that client into our V6.1 client. However, we have been thinking about attempting to install some of our smaller projects straight from our VIP 5.5932 into 6.1 to reduce some overhead (do not ask me why we do not just upgrade our VIP environment to 5.5932 or higher, I would, but I don't make that call).

Is anyone currently upgrading their code to 6.1 that is using a VIP version earlier than 5.5932? I have currently upgraded a couple projects straight from 5.5927 with no issues, but I do not want to 'press my luck' if anyone else is currently doing this and having issues.

Thanks!

#2 CurtisZ

CurtisZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Programming
    Family
    Sports
    Auto repair

Posted 20 February 2009 - 08:05 PM

However, we have been thinking about attempting to install some of our smaller projects straight from our VIP 5.5932 into 6.1 to reduce some overhead

BLAH! TYPO! I meant to state that we wanted to go from VIP 5.5927 to 6.1... :-)

#3 simonc

simonc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 03:53 PM

Probably not want you want to hear but I would not short cut the upgrade, follow the route Northgate advise and support.

Although I think for you it's just an easy ISIN the newer version VIP and regen the system.

However, we have been thinking about attempting to install some of our smaller projects straight from our VIP 5.5932 into 6.1 to reduce some overhead (do not ask me why we do not just upgrade our VIP environment to 5.5932 or higher, I would, but I don't make that call).

Still it is tempting to go with the short cut and if you have issues where Northgate suggest going back to the original codebase and redo the upgrade, you can do a nice "I told you so" to whom ever does make the call :) .

Of course it might all be fine.

#4 fuentevilla

fuentevilla

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:22 PM

We already migrate our system from PROIV 5.5 to PRO 6.1, we exported everything and then reimported to 6.1, after that we were requiere to regen all the system. After it was done, the system was working fine, we did not have any issues.

I don't think it's posible to ISIN from 5.5 to 6.1

Probably not want you want to hear but I would not short cut the upgrade, follow the route Northgate advise and support.

Although I think for you it's just an easy ISIN the newer version VIP and regen the system.

However, we have been thinking about attempting to install some of our smaller projects straight from our VIP 5.5932 into 6.1 to reduce some overhead (do not ask me why we do not just upgrade our VIP environment to 5.5932 or higher, I would, but I don't make that call).

Still it is tempting to go with the short cut and if you have issues where Northgate suggest going back to the original codebase and redo the upgrade, you can do a nice "I told you so" to whom ever does make the call :) .

Of course it might all be fine.

#5 Ross Bevin

Ross Bevin

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 02:19 PM

Hi Curtis,

I suggest you follow Northgate's directions and migrate your 5.5 code to the latest release of 5.5 first. We migrated from 5.5 Native to 6.1 VIP 18 months ago (a lot more complicated). I can't remember the specifics but there were some issues fixed in one of the last 5.5 releases that fixed a migration problem. I think it is better to be safe than sorry and follow their release instructions.

Ross

#6 Tony Waszkiewicz

Tony Waszkiewicz

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:12 AM

Hi,

Since v6.2 is just out and there are improvements to VIP ++ etc I suggest you migrate from v5.5 to v6.2 using export and import as recommended by Proiv.

We just tried a migration from 5.5 Developer Studio to 6.1 VIP (with the very good help of Neil Holmes of Proiv) and found a number of problems with the upgrade process and resulting v6.1 functions but then again some of our functions are pushing the limits of Proiv :x: . These functions will probably need re-writing :ermm: .

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users