ProIV in an RAC architecture

6 replies to this topic

#1 Abi Janeo

Abi Janeo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:17 PM

Is it possible for a ProIV installation (especially with later versions) to be implemented across a RAC (Real Application Cluster) architecture?

#2 Matthews Estrice

Matthews Estrice

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 09:04 AM

Hi Abi,

As long as your RAC has a JDBC connection component and you can define the Data Source,the latest PROIV will does support the JDBC connection,you should be able to connect PROIV to the data source on the RAC architecture.I have used Java Servlets with JDBC Oracle database on the RAC architecture.

If the driver e.g JDBC driver component is absent,there will not be a connectivity between RAC and PROIV.

The servlets and PROIV would look for the data source defined using JDBC/ODBC connectivity.
I would say the answer is yes.

Matthews Estrice

#3 Richard Bassett

Richard Bassett

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:42 AM

I assume you're talking specifically about Oracle RAC?

Standard PROIV native connectivity to Oracle (OCI) should work fine with an Oracle RAC, however, PROIV has no enhancements to exploit RAC as far as I am aware - so don't expect any fancy stuff like so-called Transparent Application Failover (TAF) to work with a PROIV application.

In other words, a RAC just looks like any other Oracle database to PROIV - RAC-specific stuff might happen at connection time but it's transparent and outside the control of PROIV.

I don't see how there could be any dependency on JDBC but perhaps Matthews will comment - JDBC is not a topic I know a great deal about.
Nothing's as simple as you think

#4 Matthews Estrice

Matthews Estrice

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 12:37 PM

What I have done on my Java Servlet/JSP , I have constructed my JDBC connection as follow for RAC:-

String strURL =
"jdbc:oracle:thin:@(DESCRIPTION=(FAILOVER=ON)(ADDRESS_LIST=(LOAD_BALANCE=ON)(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)
HOST=FINDBSERVER)(PORT=1526))(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=192.1.1.666)(PORT=1526
))(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=finDBase)))
";

String strUser = "matthewse";
String strPW = "mattpass";

// load Oracle driver
Class.forName("oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver");

// create the connection
con = DriverManager.getConnection(strURL, strUser, strPW);

Please find more info on RAC/JDBC :-
http://download.orac....htm#sthref2254
http://download-west...le.htm#CACBJEGE

Matthews Estrice

#5 Richard Bassett

Richard Bassett

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 12:58 PM

Understood, but does that have anything to do with standard PROIV?

The PROIV *kernel* will not connect to Oracle using JDBC (unless you're saying it can in V6) and it does not support any RAC high-availability features (unless you're saying that has changed in V6).

So a "traditional" PROIV app will run on RAC exactly as it did on a non-cluster Oracle DB except that if the DB instance you are connected to went down you ought to be able to restart the application straight away and Oracle will re-route its connect to an instance that is still available.

Right?
Nothing's as simple as you think

#6 Matthews Estrice

Matthews Estrice

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 02:17 PM

You might be right.
If the data source is defined and connects successfully via JDBC to the database,I would think that the data source is available to any application that supports the JDBC.
I haven't tried connecting using RAC architecture with PROIV.To me,both environment support JDBC therefor should be able to connect to the database.

It also depends if the connection string and the database version is support by PROIV.

Matthews Estrice

#7 Rory

Rory

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 10:52 AM

Our client uses Oracle Failsafe with a clustered active node & passive node.

We had to install PROIV and our application on both nodes.

When a failover happens, a message is broadcast and the users need to login again on the newly active node. They use one piv shortcut which always points to the active node.

This version 5.5

Rory

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users