30 replies to this topic

#16 Neil Hunter

Neil Hunter

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 06:12 AM

I might be wrong here, but 6.1 only makes the execution of FOP easier. This can still be done on 5.5, you just have to install FOP and code the necessary system and execution call. No real biggie.

The time consuming part is the XSL and marking up the stylesheet

For file generation, try outputting the report to PDF to a batchque :rolleyes:

#17 Matthews Estrice

Matthews Estrice

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 10:49 AM

Hi Ross,

I have worked for 2 companies that are using PROIV 6.At the moment I am developing in version 5.5.
version 5.5 is abled to spool to XML file.I can use the very same XML file in Stylus,Netbeans,Eclipse or any where where there is an XMLFO environment.

I enjoy working with XSL,XML,XHTML,WSDL,SOAP,UDDI,AJAX,RIA,JSF,JSP,EJB,Servlet,Javascripts.
This is the one of the projects I was once involed with some years ago :- http://www.jse.co.za/weekly_stats.jsp

I am currently developing in Apache Tomcat and making scripts PORTABLE to PROIV servlet container using .jar or .war files.I would only need to construct Busses and Tasks from PROIV for web services to produce WSDL or XML to write to any MIMETYPE docs.

In your case,you will need a good architecture and research as to what will be best for you if you do not want to use API and libraries (i.e .js - javascripts).All of the above are suppported by PROIV.I have written quiet sophisticated PDF programs for Financial source documents.

I would depend on Busses and Tasks where I could manage the process control and also dumping the data objects on FOP for each invoice.You will need to look at the maximum LENGTH of $ fields in a Task,maximum number of fields in a Task.In between I would execute the SYSTEM Commands .Your Task constructor will be huge,consisting of header , body and footer fields from the Task.

I hope we can find an easier and quicker way of doing this.

Matthews

#18 DeclanLyne

DeclanLyne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 12:30 PM

Hi Ross,

Australia is going well thanks.

This is something I have always wanted to do as well so I put a request into R&D and I believe a number of other customers did also. The good news is I have just been told it is going to be added to the product in the very near future. My guess is it will be done using @RPTOPT.

Mathew,
The way to produce multiple XML files so you get one for each invoice is to create a global report and call it for each invoice. The report will have the
stylesheet specified in the spooler options. In the instructions I attached ealrier it shows how to change the name of the output file. Once they put the @RPTOPT change in you will then get a PDF for each invoice created on the server.

Once I hear when the @RPTOPT change is in PROIV I will let you know.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Regards
Declan

#19 Matthews Estrice

Matthews Estrice

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 12:41 PM

Thanks DecLan and Ross , at least there is a way forward.Neil Hunter my boy :rolleyes:

#20 Ross Bevin

Ross Bevin

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 01:48 PM

Thanks for the replies Guys!

Declan, so are you saying that Pro-IV will have the capability of producing the PDF file without the need to purchase third party PDF generating software? If this is so then that would be fantastic!

In the mean time though I need to move forward with this project and I agree with Neil that learning XSL will be the most time consuming aspect. I was Googling yesterday and discovered a NZ company called Ibex who sell a PDF generating application. After a series of e-mails between us I concluded all I need to do to produce a PDF document using their software is perform the following SYSTEM call in logic. I would likely call this logic after my Gloabl Report function produced the individual XML invoice file. E.g.

#X = SYSTEM(IBEX.EXE D:\Data\Invoice1234567.XML D:\Data\Invoice.XSL D:\Data\Invoices\Invoice1234567.PDF)

They have a 30 day free trial so I will give it a go.

Edited by Ross Bevin, 25 July 2008 - 01:50 PM.

#21 Neil Hunter

Neil Hunter

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 02:59 PM

Ross,

what platform are you running on?

Why didn't you look at FOP? The command line execution is almost exactly the same and the best part, its open source.

AFAIK ProIV are using FOP or a FOP derivative as well...

#22 DARREN

DARREN

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 03:02 PM

Thanks for the replies Guys!

Declan, so are you saying that Pro-IV will have the capability of producing the PDF file without the need to purchase third party PDF generating software? If this is so then that would be fantastic!

In the mean time though I need to move forward with this project and I agree with Neil that learning XSL will be the most time consuming aspect. I was Googling yesterday and discovered a NZ company called Ibex who sell a PDF generating application. After a series of e-mails between us I concluded all I need to do to produce a PDF document using their software is perform the following SYSTEM call in logic. I would likely call this logic after my Gloabl Report function produced the individual XML invoice file. E.g.

#X = SYSTEM(IBEX.EXE D:\Data\Invoice1234567.XML D:\Data\Invoice.XSL D:\Data\Invoices\Invoice1234567.PDF)

They have a 30 day free trial so I will give it a go.

I used ibex's technology on another project (PROIV outputing XML to Java/Javascript), where we created orders in PDF format. I highly recommend this company as they produce high quality software.
Things should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler

#23 Ross Bevin

Ross Bevin

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 04:33 PM

Ross,

what platform are you running on?

Why didn't you look at FOP? The command line execution is almost exactly the same and the best part, its open source.

AFAIK ProIV are using FOP or a FOP derivative as well...

Hi Neil,

This is all new to me; I'm a die hard Pro-IV Developer who has yet to work outside the box. I did a quick Google on FOP and see the software you are refering to. I will look into this. We are running the 6.1.51.0 kernel on Windows 2003 Server.

Ross

#24 Neil Hunter

Neil Hunter

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 05:15 AM

You not the only one Ross :rolleyes:

I've done a couple of simple tests on an XP machine and it seems to work just fine. Now if I could find an easy to use XSL tool....

#25 Matthews Estrice

Matthews Estrice

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 06:47 AM

You ca use Eclipse,Netbeans or Styllusstudio tools.I would recomment Styllusstudio IDE.They have good tuitorial material and docs.Netbeans is open source,Stylusstudio cost about R2000.00 (za).

#26 Matthews Estrice

Matthews Estrice

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 07:27 AM

Please visit the ff. URL for some vedio lessons on XSLT :-

http://www.stylusstu.../xsltedit1.html

Matthews

#27 Matthews Estrice

Matthews Estrice

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 08:06 AM

FYI Neil,
You can create the WSDL from PROIV 6 using Busses and Tasks and this is how you would consume and deploy the web services on Stylusstudio :-
http://www.stylusstu.../wscc/wscc.html

#28 DeclanLyne

DeclanLyne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 11:50 AM

Ross,

To produce a PDF from PROIV you don't need any additional third party software. Everything you need is included in the V6 install. The only thing you need to write is the XSL stylesheet. I didn't know any XSL when I started looking at this but bought a book and also looked at the stylesheets used to document a PROIV function (also included with the v6 install). I was lucky that I also had a guy in the UK who helped me when I had a few problems.

A guy I met in the US recently did all his stylesheets using Stylevision which has a free 30 days download. I had a bit of a play with it and it is all drag and drop.

If you are having problems getting your stylesheets written let me know and I could arrange to get them written for you. Once you have a few they can be used as templates.

Not sure if the .exe you got has to be deployed on each client machine but using PROIV it all works server side.

As I said before my understanding is this feature will be in the product very soon.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Regards
Declan

#29 Matthews Estrice

Matthews Estrice

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:31 AM

Thanks Declan for your help.
When I embarked on project like this several years ago , to email invoices and statements,was tough.I was forced to use external languages.I was using PROIV 2.2 and Superlayer by then.

I was challenged to write programs that sends SMS and MMS,when I became familiar with SOAP Web Services,interacting with PROIV and external application made things easier.

I will appreciate to have some documentation too.

I will send you a chocolate and envelop it on SOAP and execute a SYSTEM command :rolleyes:

Thanks again Declan we are looking forward for an update on this.

Matthews

#30 Wim Soutendijk

Wim Soutendijk

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 06:31 AM

Hi Declan,

Is there any way to include control break details (such as subtotals) on the pdf?
I can't find the settings on the control break level to generate the xml tags for it. I would assume a control break would wrap a new level around the detail records, so they can be grouped together.

wim soutendijk

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users