5 replies to this topic

#1 Cathy

Cathy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 03:06 PM

Hello,

We are looking at options for allowing remote connections to a common proiv server via the web.

I have the Web client installed and working but I'm wondering if this is the best option. I don't want to spend a lot of time on an unsupported product.

Basically:
1.) I need an easy method to provide clients a GUI connection over the internet. I do not want to mail them anything that needs to be installed.

2.) They also must have the ability to print from the proiv server to a printer that is on their network and the reports have escape sequences.

Any suggestions, ideas, thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank-you,
Cathy

#2 Donald Miller

Donald Miller

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycling, Running, Cooking

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:44 PM

Hi Cathy

I use Web Client/Concerto to connect to my customers. Currently they are happy to remain on 5.5 so that may limit the options but it work pretty well considering. When traffic is busy it can take some time to connect 30 or 40 seconds - but once connected response times are ok. It's only used to install (by me remotely) as all the users are on site.

It was some time ago and the installation (at that time) was carried out by Pro IV, but I think there was some element of installation required on my system to access theirs - but other members may be able to clarify/update that if it's not quite correct. It's Windows XP and it's GUI.

The client session can be mapped to a local printer and if the escape characters were valid on that they'd probably work. They're not in my case - but they do work on site. So if the printers were compatible then, in theory, it should be ok.

Sorry it's not much to go on - but you did say any info would be appreciated. It may give you a temporary solution until you find a more up to date one. Pro IV should be able to advise what the best tools for the job are.

They do still answer questions even if you don't have a support agreement, don't they?
Especially when there's potential business involved...
Half of what he said meant something else, and the other half didn't mean anytthing at all

#3 Tony Waszkiewicz

Tony Waszkiewicz

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:00 AM

Hi Cathy,

You don't say how far your remote users are and this may make a difference. We have one user with the server in the UK and some clients in Singapore, despite having a fast line they were getting unacceptable response times. After their network gurus had run traces on the line they informed us that proiv was very "chatty". Using Citrix made a big difference to them and resolved all the problems.

#4 Cathy

Cathy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 04:07 PM

Thanks for you replies Donald & Tony!

I'm surprised that I didn't get any other suggestions than the Web Client.

I'm obviously missing something since there has to be other methods. Maybe it's because I really only know Proiv and not java?!?!

I see a lot of questions related to java and using bus & task so I'm wondering if most web apps have written their own java interfaces.

Or is everyone using Concerto?

As my questions show, I'm a newbie to the whole web application area so I'm just looking for suggestions on what path to follow.

#5 DARREN

DARREN

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 05:23 PM

Thanks for you replies Donald & Tony!

I'm surprised that I didn't get any other suggestions than the Web Client.

I'm obviously missing something since there has to be other methods. Maybe it's because I really only know Proiv and not java?!?!

I see a lot of questions related to java and using bus & task so I'm wondering if most web apps have written their own java interfaces.

Or is everyone using Concerto?

As my questions show, I'm a newbie to the whole web application area so I'm just looking for suggestions on what path to follow.

I think the audience assumed that you wished to continue to use the PROIV client to render your application to the user over the web and that maybe why alternative options were not suggested. PROIV (the language) does have a sophisticated API that allows you to pass parameters to and receive parameters from (along with XML and delimited streams of data) a proiv application. Version 6.1 also supports web services. You can therefore write a web based "front end" in pretty much any language (java,.net,asp etc) and just call the tasks and/or web services to marshal the data. If you do this I highly recommend that you keep the presentation layer as light as possible i.e. leave as much business logic in the PROIV app as possible. That way the rules are only in one place and this is much easier for maintenance and bug fixing. PROIV (the company) have teams of programmers that specialize in extracting screen presentations written in PROIV to rendering them in a browser. If you are willing to spend some money then it may be worth giving them a call. From personal experience (as I used to work with them for years) they are very efficient and highly competent.
Things should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler

#6 Cathy

Cathy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 06:45 PM

Darren,

Yes, our original thought was to use our current applications over the web but the more I've been reading, I guess it's not as easy as that.

Thanks for clearing it up for me!

Cathy

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users