2 replies to this topic

#1 Rob Donovan

Rob Donovan

rob@proivrc.com

• Admin
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 04 June 2002 - 09:15 PM

Hi,

I just thought I would give you an update as to where I am at with my function editor - ProIV IDE. (Interactive Development Environment)

I have not done much that is actually visible to the user. I've had to spend alot of time on the internal structure of things, esp. performance on loading and saving functions.. and the undo/redo functions.

On an internal network a function generally takes 4 seconds to load fully, but the function can be navigated/modified while the function loads in the background, as soon as the first part of the function is loaded (ie the LSs, which is generally instant).

I am going to try something different that could remove 1-2 seconds from the 4 seconds, but I don’t want to spend too much time on that just at the moment.

A smallish function of 4 LSs took 23 seconds to load over a 56K modem link. Once the function is loaded then navigation is not affected by the connection speed because most things are done locally until you 'save' your changes.

The function 'save' time on a network connection is very fast, and is not noticeable.

I have done the Cut/Past/Del right click menus for all the function 'parts'. Anything (LS/Files/Fields) can be put onto/taken off the clipboard.

It now also copes with having more than 1 function at a time open, with function name tabs at the top.

Next I'm going to do a bit of work on the logic editor, then I might put a demo version up for you to look at, and see what you think about design/speed etc.

Rob D.

#2 devnull

devnull

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 07:57 AM

How does the client interface with the PROIV installation?

Just interested.

#3 Rob Donovan

Rob Donovan

rob@proivrc.com

• Admin
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 08:47 AM

Hi,

It uses Bus & Tasks to communicate with the ProIV kernel.

I send the function structure back as comma serperated strings, that the VB application then decodes and stores locally in memory (or CSV if you choose)

Rob D.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users