#1 Lewis Mccabe

Lewis Mccabe

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 09:16 PM

Hello All,

Has anyone converted an old PRO-IV app to 5.5 without without making any changes? The old app is periods in the function and variable names. Additionally, I would like to run it as a green screen under Windows. Hopefully I am not blazing a trail.

Thanks.

#2 Rob Donovan

Rob Donovan

rob@proivrc.com

• Admin
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 06:34 AM

Hi,

I have done a couple of upgrades, and there have always been changes needed.

Dependant on how your code is written really.

The app I am working on at the moment is in 5.5, and we still have all our vars with periods in the var names.

It works, but it causes the gen process to give some incorrect error messages sometimes, but ONLY when there is something wrong with your actual logic.

Other than that, it works fine.

Rob.

#3 Mike Peterson

Mike Peterson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:25 AM

Lew, If I remember correctly, 4.0 is after the "Migrator" upgrade - 4.0 to 5.5 is pretty much seemless(even a caveman can do it).

#4 Lewis Mccabe

Lewis Mccabe

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 04:17 PM

Rob,

Periods in vars, funs. Thanks for that.

Mike,

4.0 is after the Migrator. Actual conversion should be fine. I am hoping PRO-IV doesn't complain about the old code though. I'd say half the system is the old ASC and half is new. Since the ASC part was originally written in the early '80s and they did a bunch of their famous field jumping, I am skeptically confident.

#5 Lewis Mccabe

Lewis Mccabe

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 03:29 PM

Anyone running green screen under windows? Any issues?

#6 tom braider

tom braider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 04:05 PM

What is a Migrator or should I ask what is THE Migrator? Please do not reply the obvious in that 'it does what it says on the tin'. More to the fact, is the Migrator a tool and if it is by whom, what is actually does and does not ... etc etc etc. Please feel bothered.

#7 Mike Peterson

Mike Peterson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 12:03 PM

What is a Migrator or should I ask what is THE Migrator? Please do not reply the obvious in that 'it does what it says on the tin'. More to the fact, is the Migrator a tool and if it is by whom, what is actually does and does not ... etc etc etc. Please feel bothered.

For one of the major upgrades just before the turn of the century, you had to purchase "Migrator" functions from PRO-IV to upgrade from one version to the next because of major bootstrap changes. Once the "Migrator" functions were finished, there was a little bit of clean up work to finish the job.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users