#1 Lewis Mccabe

Lewis Mccabe

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 04:13 AM

Hello All,

This is an updated "How are you doing on version 6" now that 6.1 is out. Anyone have 6.1 in production or close? We are just about to start the move from 5.5 to 6.1 ourselves. Any major issues?

Some people did post to my similar thread for version 6.0 quite a while back:
http://www.proivrc.c...amp;#entry16155

Thanks.

Lew

Edited by Lewis Mccabe, 18 September 2007 - 04:14 AM.

#2 Wim Soutendijk

Wim Soutendijk

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 06:46 AM

not so good:
I have problems getting 6.1 to run on a windows server.
The new client keeps asking if I want to save changes to the .piv on exiting the session when nothing was changed
The connection wizzard stays on top of the screen after a connection was made
The new client is capable of connecting to a 5.5 kernel, but you will have to set the port from 6023 to 23 manually every time you start up the client. (not very handy if you want to install the client on all workstations prior to a 6.1 launch)

Wim

#3 Neil Hunter

Neil Hunter

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 02:38 PM

Busy with a 6.1 implementation as I type.
Have had a few problems with it, but support have been exemplary in sorting the problems out

#4 Lewis Mccabe

Lewis Mccabe

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 03:04 PM

Neil,

I assume you are doing a 5.5 to 6.1 conversion. How far along are you? Have you tested any of the new v6 features?

Thanks.

Lew

#5 Neil Hunter

Neil Hunter

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 03:14 PM

5.5 Superlayer to 6.1. In house testing is on going, with any luck going live in the next 2 or 3 days

#6 Lewis Mccabe

Lewis Mccabe

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 03:31 PM

Neil,

What platform/DB are you on? Did you run into any problems similar to Wim? Could you give us a heads up on the problems you did encounter?

2-3 days! Let us know.

What are you doing about the SL pieces - menus, layouts, etc.

Lew

#7 Daniel Elkington

Daniel Elkington

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 02:19 AM

Wim, i had some similar issues during our initial v6 testing, one particularly annoying 'feature' of the new client is the fact that there are two sets of properties, session and default. You'd think that setting the session properties would be enough to control all aspects of a particular session, but i found that it is also necessary to set some of the properties in the default settings in order to get the client to behave reliably.
We raised this with Northgate support, but our v6 testing has been on hold for a while so i haven't followed it up with them.

Some of your issues may also be caused by registry problems. Did you have any of the earlier v6 clients installed on that machine? It's often necessary to to a full registry cleanup removing all references to proiv, before installing the 6.1 client.

#8 Wim Soutendijk

Wim Soutendijk

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 05:48 AM

Hello Daniel,
uninstalling and clearing the registry helped getting 6.1 to work, thanks.
the default properties will allow us to install the client as administrator, set all properties we need, so that any user who logs on to that computer will have the same settings (just like the old proiv.ini did)

Thanks,

Wim

#9 Neil Hunter

Neil Hunter

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 07:02 AM

Neil,

What platform/DB are you on? Did you run into any problems similar to Wim? Could you give us a heads up on the problems you did encounter?

2-3 days! Let us know.

Lew

Lew,

Its on Solaris and Oracle. Have had some issues with client and server side, some are still in progress so I don't know if the guys at Northgate would appreciate me discussing them until they have been resolved....

On the server side, it looks like 6.1.16 is the one to go for....

Superlayer conversion was done by Northgate....

#10 Cleve Haynes

Cleve Haynes

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 07:07 AM

Neil,

2-3 days! Let us know.

Lew

Lew,

Its on Solaris and Oracle. Have had some issues with client and server side, some are still in progress so I don't know if the guys at Northgate would appreciate me discussing them until they have been resolved....

On the server side, it looks like 6.1.16 is the one to go for....

Superlayer conversion was done by Northgate....

Superlayer conversion? I guess that means you are now forced to use VIP. :x:

I don't envy you Neil. I can't bear the thought of going to 6.1 if we have to use VIP. (I find it amusing that it was renamed to "ProIV Developer" to remove the negativity associated in some circles).

Hopefully Rob will update his IDE soon to be 6.x compatible.

#11 Marlon

Marlon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:03 AM

Hello,
Does anyone have any new info on this? We have a customer who wants to install Vista on their workstations so that means we have to give them the 6.1 client. I'd like it to go smoothly, so any pointers before they begin would be greatly appreciated.

This is your captain speaking. We may experience some slight turbulance and then...explode.

#12 Neil Hunter

Neil Hunter

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:12 AM

So far no machines on Vista, sorry.

There are a couple of issues with the client in terms of functionality and how the client behaves. These have been reported to ProIV

So far we have 1 site with 600 odd users, another with probably not more than 200 running on Solaris and another 3 user site on Windows going live in the next couple of weeks

#13 Steve Kiernan

Steve Kiernan

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:writing wonderful, professional, windows compliant systems in PROIV. Or not.

Posted 04 July 2008 - 11:02 AM

Hello,
Does anyone have any new info on this? We have a customer who wants to install Vista on their workstations so that means we have to give them the 6.1 client. I'd like it to go smoothly, so any pointers before they begin would be greatly appreciated.

We're running on Vista using 5.5r3.4.5 & mfc524 and have been for many months

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users