• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 10:11 AM

Hi,
I'm getting an error in VIP, it prevents compilation of the function:

"(error code 2)
018 - ERROR IN WRITING FILE - /boots/SRTBAAa00332 (10012) "

I've checked the permissions etc on the file nothing seems unusal. Does anyone have an idea as to what causes this problem?

Cheers, Rob

#2 Rob Donovan

Rob Donovan

rob@proivrc.com

• Admin
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 10:41 AM

Hi,

Sorry Rob, there was a problem with attachments and disk space, so your attachments didnt work.

Can you attach them again...

Are you getting the VIP error after it runs for a while.... looks like it is blowing the size of the sort file... which there isnt much you can do about, I dont think....

Rob.

#3 Rob_Stebbens

Rob_Stebbens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:55 PM

Hi,

Sorry Rob, there was a problem with attachments and disk space, so your attachments didnt work.

Are you getting the VIP error after it runs for a while.... looks like it is blowing the size of the sort file... which there isnt much you can do about, I dont think....

Rob.

Hmm, I found that removing all the "SRT" files from the boots directory seems to solve the problem. VIP goes off and creates new ones if they don't exist! :eek:

Cheers Rob.

#4 Chris Mackenzie

Chris Mackenzie

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 02:54 PM

Hi,

Rob.

Hmm, I found that removing all the "SRT" files from the boots directory seems to solve the problem. VIP goes off and creates new ones if they don't exist! :eek:

Cheers Rob.

Maybe you should check how much space is on that device.
The content and views expressed in this message are those
of the poster and do not represent those of any organisation.

#5 Rob_Stebbens

Rob_Stebbens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 09:35 AM

Hi,

Rob.

Cheers Rob.

Maybe you should check how much space is on that device.

yeah, I think we may have ran out of space, which corrupted the "SRT" files that VIP uses.

#6 Papa Lazarou

Papa Lazarou

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Collecting wives, pegs.

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:21 PM

That also sounds like a generic issue that can happen with any report/update that uses a sort-file.

AFAIK sort-files are created by the kernel automatically and are only supposed to be temporary files, present for the duration of the report/update using it.

I think what can happen is that if a session crashes or its process is killed during an update/report that sorts, then the sort-file can be left behind. It would appear then that the sort-file name is not guaranteed to be unique and an existing file can potentially be "re-used" at a later date. :eek:
In all likelyhood the existing file will not match the record structure that's expected though, which would then result in the write error you saw.

BTW - If I'm not mistaken, there's an environment variable PROTEMP that lets you define where these sort-files will be created. If it's not defined then I think it will use the PRODATA path, and if that's not defined then the PROPATH path.
You're my wife now, Dave!

#7 Donald Miller

Donald Miller

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycling, Running, Cooking

Posted 12 July 2007 - 08:20 PM

Hi

You're not mistaken, Papa, if there's no PROTEMP defined in the relevant ini file then PRODATA is used (at least in Windows environments anyway).

Cheers
Half of what he said meant something else, and the other half didn't mean anytthing at all

#8 Chris Mackenzie

Chris Mackenzie

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 08:30 AM

It would appear then that the sort-file name is not guaranteed to be unique and an existing file can potentially be "re-used" at a later date. :eek:
In all likelyhood the existing file will not match the record structure that's expected though, which would then result in the write error you saw.

I reckon pro-iv recreates the file when required rather than re-using
the existing structure. The error was just down to disk space.
The content and views expressed in this message are those
of the poster and do not represent those of any organisation.

#9 DARREN

DARREN

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:48 PM

It would appear then that the sort-file name is not guaranteed to be unique and an existing file can potentially be "re-used" at a later date. :mad:

I reckon pro-iv recreates the file when required rather than re-using
the existing structure. The error was just down to disk space.

If you are using 5.5 or above, you can alway turn on the memory sort file feature........it's the only way to fly :eek: .
Things should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users