5 replies to this topic

#1 Fred Marker

Fred Marker

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 02:56 PM

Last week, our Windows 2003 Server's application event log registered 121,487 errors (event 52) logged consecutively for a single 10 minute period from the ProISAM service with the text entry of "Error hit maximum page number." No other logs or signs that there were any problems/issues in the ProIV application.

Has anyone else seen this event log error before or know what this is regarding?

Thanks
Fred

#2 Joseph Bove

Joseph Bove

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 03:39 PM

Fred,

I'm not sure what the error means, but I'd recommend an ischk of the files. (In a live environment, you can get a false negative. If one comes up corrupt, do not rebuild it. Check it an additional 2 times - if it comes up corrupt all three, then look to take people off the system to deal with it.)

hth,

Joseph

#3 Chris Mackenzie

Chris Mackenzie

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 05:07 PM

Fred,

I'm not sure what the error means, but I'd recommend an ischk of the files. (In a live environment, you can get a false negative. If one comes up corrupt, do not rebuild it. Check it an additional 2 times - if it comes up corrupt all three, then look to take people off the system to deal with it.)

hth,

Joseph

Alternatively, get everyone off and ischk it once...
The content and views expressed in this message are those
of the poster and do not represent those of any organisation.

#4 Fred Marker

Fred Marker

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 12:02 PM

We ischk all files daily. There is no evidence either the days before or the days after of any issues or problems with any files. The event log gives no clue as to which file or files caused the error.

FYI: One file is close (approx 90%) to the 384Mb ProISAM file size limit.

Fred

#5 Joseph Bove

Joseph Bove

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 01:17 PM

Fred,

In approaching this issue at the start of a new day, I am struck by a different thought. The error message MAXIMUM PAGING NUMBER EXCEEDED occurs within ProIV when you are in a paging screen and try to access records beyond 32768. There is an inherent limit to paging screens in this regard.

It may be that this is what occurred. This should be relatively easy to test. If you look at a paging screen on a very large file and press Control End this will bring you to record # 32768. Then, press Down Arrow and you will see this error. Next, check to see if that error was logged in the event viewer.

On some of the ProIV kernels (earliers in the 5.5 series), there were problems with the kernel not re-initializing a internal variable and therefore continually posting it to the event viewer. I don't remember the exact error, but we had one instance where an error was logged hundreds or thousands of times. We found that very exciting, but ProIV tech support indicated a problem with error handling in the kernel.

hth,

Joseph

#6 fatboy996

fatboy996

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 05:41 PM

Last week, our Windows 2003 Server's application event log registered 121,487 errors (event 52) logged consecutively for a single 10 minute period from the ProISAM service with the text entry of "Error hit maximum page number." No other logs or signs that there were any problems/issues in the ProIV application.

Has anyone else seen this event log error before or know what this is regarding?

Thanks
Fred

It's bad and probally means you are starting to lose data off the file. You need to archive the file or make the maximum size of it bigger (dependent on PROIV version).

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users