4 replies to this topic

#1 Gary Wilhelm

Gary Wilhelm

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 05:54 PM

I joined the PROIV nation back in 2002 with version 4.6. I remember that every tiny upgrade I made to my Linux server caused my licenses to invalidate and would create extra down time while trying to contact my rep and get a new key. If I remember correctly, this included kernel upgrades. Since then, we have moved to PROIV version 5.5 revision 4.1.1 and Red Hat ES release 4 with kernel 2.6.9-11. I have been of the philosophy, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, so I haven't updated my kernel. My question is, if I do update my kernel, should I be prepared to update my license as well, cuz this was a big pain with 4.6 or am I misremembering what caused license invalidation in 4.6?

Thanks in advance,

-Gary

#2 Rick Young

Rick Young

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 07:36 PM

Gary,

I've gone through a few revision updates within 5.5 (from 308 to 411 to 417) without any licensing type issues, however, this was on HP-UX platform. Unfortunately, I've not been involved with our other clients' platforms.

Version upgrades (eg. from 1.5 -> 4.6 or 4.6 -> 5.5) I believe always require(d) new licenses.

$0.02c

Rick

Edited by Rick Young, 08 March 2007 - 07:37 PM.

#3 Gary Wilhelm

Gary Wilhelm

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 11:04 PM

I've gone through a few revision updates within 5.5 (from 308 to 411 to 417) without any licensing type issues, however, this was on HP-UX platform. Unfortunately, I've not been involved with our other clients' platforms.

Version upgrades (eg. from 1.5 -> 4.6 or 4.6 -> 5.5) I believe always require(d) new licenses.

$0.02c

Rick

I'm not concerned about the PROIV versioning. I need to update my Red Hat kernel and wanted to make sure I wouldn't have any issues with PROIV. PROIV uses computer information to generate Site ID's and if I change my kernel to the latest version, I wanted to know if my Site ID would change making my license invalid thus crippling my company until I install the new serial numbers. When I was running PROIV v4.6, I added a second hard drive for space issues and I had to enter nre serial numbers into PROIV.

-Gary

#4 Rick Young

Rick Young

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 02:24 AM

$0.02c

Rick

I'm not concerned about the PROIV versioning. I need to update my Red Hat kernel and wanted to make sure I wouldn't have any issues with PROIV. PROIV uses computer information to generate Site ID's and if I change my kernel to the latest version, I wanted to know if my Site ID would change making my license invalid thus crippling my company until I install the new serial numbers. When I was running PROIV v4.6, I added a second hard drive for space issues and I had to enter nre serial numbers into PROIV.

-Gary

Apologies Gary, I misread your original post. I am aware of similar issues as ProIV seems to do things subtly different on the different platforms, but unfortunately am unable to give you anything useful for your specific environment. Telling you that an HP-UX patch from 11i to 11.23 (aka 11i v2) gave no issues, doesn't help you :-( However, prior to said upgrade, I emailed ProIV support inquiring whether there would be licensing and/or compatibility issues and they told me "no" - that may be your best avenue unless someone here does have the first-hand experience that you require.

Good luck

Rick

#5 Gary Wilhelm

Gary Wilhelm

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 12:45 AM

Problem solved. I called my tech support and got the answer. The answer is that kernel upgrades are ok and do not effect licensing.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users