7 replies to this topic

#1 Gary Wilhelm

Gary Wilhelm

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 11:40 PM

I have a file that is accessed by hundreds of functions. I want to add another field at the end of the file. I know I have to regen the functions that will access this new field, but do I have to regen all the functions that access this file if they have no need of accessing this added field. Being at the end of the record, this shouldn't effect any function that doesn't realize the new field is at the end of the record should it?

Thanks in advance

-Gary

#2 Lewis Mccabe

Lewis Mccabe

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 03:36 AM

Gary,

You do not need to gen a function for the function to work with the modified file layout. The ungenned function will not know about the new field and ignore it. The problem is that if any function which does not know about the new field writes back to the file, any data in your new field will be lost. Since it is a simple matter to gen all functions for a specific file (in native you can mark them for gen the next time function is run) I would gen them all. Something making it difficult for you to gen them?

Lew

#3 Gary Wilhelm

Gary Wilhelm

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 04:34 AM

How do I mark them to regen the next time a function is run without having to manually mark every function individuallt?

Gary,

You do not need to gen a function for the function to work with the modified file layout. The ungenned function will not know about the new field and ignore it. The problem is that if any function which does not know about the new field writes back to the file, any data in your new field will be lost. Since it is a simple matter to gen all functions for a specific file (in native you can mark them for gen the next time function is run) I would gen them all. Something making it difficult for you to gen them?

Lew

#4 Rob Donovan

Rob Donovan

rob@proivrc.com

• Admin
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 08:12 AM

Hi,

I would probably advise against setting the functions to auto regen as this is a bit of a nasty solution. Since you dont actually know that the function will gen correctly and its not really great to have your users compiling code for you ;)

Also, if you have any global functions, your system will stop working since globals dont auto gen.

However, if you do choose that route, then the option is off the @DM menu, option 6. Enter in your file name and also flag the 'Reset all functions associated with file'. You would have to do this for all the alternate file defs for the same file also.

If you dont have any system genners on your system, you could try using ProIV IDE.

You can build up a list of functions and gen them from IDE, and IDE will gen all functions using that file (and any alternate) and report on any functions that fail.

Rob.

#5 Lewis Mccabe

Lewis Mccabe

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 12:42 PM

Gary,

Native does not have a method to gen all functions for a file. You can list all functions for a file or flag them for gen the next time they are executed. If you don't have another tool to do it or Rob's IDE, I would print a list of all function for the file and then build and gen that list via function @GENFUN. I would follow Rob's advice and not flag them for regn on next execution.

Lew

#6 George Macken

George Macken

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 02:02 PM

Hi Gary

I am on ver 5.5, have you got the ver 5.5
send me on your e-mail and I'll send you on a utility function to enter a file and build list of functions to a paging screen, and optionally set the re-set or build a gen list and call batch gen - it will also buile the XFR list and set appropriate export flags for DEV etc.,

dont ever use the function re-set flag in a prodcution/live environment !!!

we have a Dev Licence in our Test Account and our Production/Live acount. Each account contains full source. and when installing any software patch the complete system is re-genned (we've 1000s of functions on modern h/w and it takes less than 10 mins to gen complete system). We found this to be a better means than sending lists of functions (and forrgetting the odd function) in releases just beacuse they were re-compiled. We only send the changed functions and recompile the complete account, this works well for us and is very easy to do.

Rgds

George

#7 Gary Wilhelm

Gary Wilhelm

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 04:12 PM

I'm still using Developer Studio for my IDE, but I have never found a utility that regens all functions for a file.

#8 Joseph Bove

Joseph Bove

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 05:38 PM

Gary,

Of course you can always bite the bullet and just gen the whole system.

Regards,

Joseph

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users