5 replies to this topic

#1 Tyleulen

Tyleulen

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 09:18 PM

I have a puzzling thing happening in a function. It is happening in a Many Time Paging Screen cycle that allows Add and Change mode and defaults to Change. The cycle is within a Global Screen function. The puzzling thing is that it never seems to be executing any of the logic points associated with a file. I know it has to be reading it, because it is displaying the proper infomation in all the fields, but I can put UMSG lines at the begining of BeforeReadSort, BeforeRead, OnLock, OnError, etc. and none of them ever come up. I can't think of what would be causing this behavior. If I then hit the function keys to put the page into change or add modes, it will execute the UMSG I have placed, but it does not on the inital read that populates the field to begin with.

Am I missing something simple here? How does it populate the fields but not process the logic, and how can I make sure it executes the BeforeWrite logic before it exits the cycle?

ProIV v5.5 r4.1 running on a Solaris server with Reallty, using VIP 5.5921(022)

#2 Phil

Phil

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 01:15 PM

I have a puzzling thing happening in a function. It is happening in a Many Time Paging Screen cycle that allows Add and Change mode and defaults to Change. The cycle is within a Global Screen function. The puzzling thing is that it never seems to be executing any of the logic points associated with a file. I know it has to be reading it, because it is displaying the proper infomation in all the fields, but I can put UMSG lines at the begining of BeforeReadSort, BeforeRead, OnLock, OnError, etc. and none of them ever come up. I can't think of what would be causing this behavior. If I then hit the function keys to put the page into change or add modes, it will execute the UMSG I have placed, but it does not on the inital read that populates the field to begin with.

Am I missing something simple here? How does it populate the fields but not process the logic, and how can I make sure it executes the BeforeWrite logic before it exits the cycle?

Sorry for asking, but are you genning the calling function aswell as the global function ?

#3 Rick Young

Rick Young

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 01:26 PM

just an off-the-wall thought - and I have no idea where to find this in VIP - you don't have Supp During Paint set by any chance?

-Rick

#4 Rick Young

Rick Young

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 01:37 PM

Ignore that one above - I apparently can't edit/delete it...

Now that the coffee has started to permeate...

This seems to be normal behaviour for a paging screen - ARNE appears to be the only logic to get hit during Paint. I think without having the time for a test, that if you have S/SEL = Y and a sort var, then you'll see B4Rd Sort get hit - and SSEL Logic gets hit first out of all of them. However, I don't believe you'll ever see B4Rd hit during paint of a paging screen.

Throw stuff at me if the coffee hasn't permeated sufficiently...

-Rick

#5 Job Sneekes

Job Sneekes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 03:04 PM

Maybe this helps,

I have noticed unexpected logic behavior when you use very long UMSG-es.

Regards,

Job

#6 andykay

andykay

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 11:25 PM

Tyleulen,

It sounds like you answered your own question.

...It is happening in a Many Time Paging Screen cycle that allows Add and Change mode and defaults to Change.

...The cycle is within a Global Screen function.

...If I then hit the function keys to put the page into change or add modes, it will execute the UMSG I have placed, but it does not on the inital read that populates the field to begin with.

Even though you've decleared the modes of your GS, I'd wager to say that your GS is defaulting to L mode (the @MODE of the calling function even if L mode isn't decleared in the GS). Hence, your ARNE isn't executed until you actally enter Change mode after the data is displayed. I would question your default mode when entering the GS. If you specify that the default mode of the GS is Change and you only allow A-&-C modes, then why would you have to press F6 to "...to put the page into change...mode."?

HTH.

AK
THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL IS THE HEADLAMP OF THE TRAIN THAT'S ABOUT TO HIT YOU!!!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users