3 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Schoen

Mike Schoen

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 10:22 PM

Has anyone had any experience with the bus and task java api class northgate-proiv-api.jar supplied with concerto, when using it to perform bus and task calls to a pro-iv application?

Is this a class which duplicates the bus and task 'C' api, so that you can use it to write java applications that talk to a pro-iv installation?

Does it require a seperate Concerto licence, just to be able to use bus and task with pro-iv reliably?
(See this thread re the supplied dll's being non-thread-safe: http://www.proivrc.c...showtopic=3385)

Mike

#2 Daniel Elkington

Daniel Elkington

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 07:38 AM

We have been using the Java Bus & Java API for a while now, it was supplied to us separately by Northgate, we do not use concerto. The .jar file you mention is one of three that are required, the other two are northgate-gateway.jar, which is required to use northgate-proiv-api.jar, and northgate-java-bus.jar, which replaces the bus supplied with proiv. As far as i know, the java API will only work with the java bus, and i think you need to be on at least proiv version 5

It does pretty much the same thing as the C api, allows you to call a task from within a java program.

Separate licence keys are needed for both the API and the java bus, i know northgate used to charge for them but not sure if they still do, since i'm pretty sure that this stuff is included in the standard version 6 installation at no extra charge.

#3 Mike Schoen

Mike Schoen

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 02:24 PM

We've been experimenting with the pro-iv bus daemon instead of the java one, and just using the java classes for the API calls.

The only thing we have found is that the java api doesnt seem to terminate, and that the caller needs to do a system exit to terminate the program.

Have you had issues with this as well?

#4 Daniel Elkington

Daniel Elkington

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 07:08 AM

I think that the connection to the java bus is left open, which is why the program doesn't terminate naturally. It may be necessary to manually close the connection if you want this to happen. For us it isn't really an issue since we are using the API within a web application which is always connected to the same instance of the bus, so there is no need to keep closing and re-opening the connection.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users