6 replies to this topic

#1 Craig Tomson

Craig Tomson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 06:18 PM

Hi,
Can any please shed some light on what may have caused a problem with PROIV licensing.

We currently have PROIV Version 4 running on an NT Member Server. This has been running fine for years until one day we needed to migrate this server to Active Directory. Moving it from an NT 4 domain to an Active Ditrectory was not a problem. Upon reboot the server booted up fine with all PROIV services running. NOTHING else was done to the server.

3 days later the system stopped running. The PROIV software says that the software is not licenced due to a incorrect side ID. We are running in emergency mode now, but only have 14 days to fix this.

Our company refuse to upgrade to a later version as they have no money, and therefore being blamed as this occured when the Server was moved from 1 domain to another. Can anybody clarify this, if this is the case why after 3 days said we were not correctly licenced? The supplier we are using is a company called Anite who refuse to get a licence key from PROIV for version 4.

Please anybody help?

Thanks Craig

Version : 4.0000 Revision : 5.2.6 Jan 18, 99 Bootstrap Rev : 4.0Y+

#2 George Macken

George Macken

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 07:07 PM

Hi Craig

Can you switch back to the Old Server ? do an image restore prior of prior to the upgrade ?

I'm not familiar with the scenario you describe of moving/upgrading from NT4 to Active Directory, so cannot be of much help.

If the same pro-iv software works on either of these then you are not looking for a new product, but something has changed. If for example that h/w you are using just burned out you'd have to re-install pro-iv and your app and db on a replacement server.

Are your company still paying support on your PRO-IV Version 4 ?
If So then I think you'd be able request your VAR/Pro-IV to supply a new key for the new server, you would not have to upgrade to ver 5.5. There may be a small admin charge for this, but I've found Pro-IV to be accomodating and helpful in these situations and it costing little/nothing where support is being paid.

whats the nature of the app, is it crucial to the business

If your supplier cannot provide the PRO-IV then perhaps I can, as my firm is a VAR.
(although supplying Pro-IV Ver 4 ? hmmm, havent done this for a while, currently supplying 5.5+ but could probably get you something)
Give me a call on + 353 1 2871967 / + 353 87 9196546 if you need product.

maybe someone else on the forum can resolve your current difficulties.

Rgds

George Macken
PS crazy thought, dont let the clock/date on your system go forwards, although this may have other implications.

#3 Rick Young

Rick Young

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 07:50 PM

Did the server IP address change?

I didn't think that this was an issue on NT platform, and was only on some 'nix platforms - but....

#4 Rob Donovan

Rob Donovan

rob@proivrc.com

• Admin
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 07:55 PM

Hi,

I think it might also have something to do with the Hard Drive serial number of where the pro4.ini file might be that also 'unserializes' you....

Rob.

#5 Joseph Bove

Joseph Bove

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 08:38 PM

FYI:

From what I've seen most recently the serialization appears to be more tied to the hostname and what the hostname resolves to.

hth,

Joseph

#6 Craig Tomson

Craig Tomson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 11:37 PM

Thanks for the reply guys.

The only thing that has changed on this server is the domain it belonged to. A simple move from one NT4 domain to a Windows 2000/2003 domain was all that was done. Obviously the domain names are different

If I move the server back into the domain it originally was in, will this resolve the issue or will a new site id be created and serialisation need to be carried out?

Our software supplier are asking for 10,000+ to upgrade to version 5.5 of PROIV. The support that we pay for is on a best Endeavour. I presume that PROIV will still supply keys for version 4 still?

Further help is most appreciated, and if any takers on offering a cheaper alternative to licencing than our current suppliers will be looked upon.

Thanks Craig

#7 Joseph Bove

Joseph Bove

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 03:19 PM

Craig,

If I move the server back into the domain it originally was in, will this resolve the issue or will a new site id be created and serialisation need to be carried out?

From my experiences, I would say yes. However, I cannot guarantee that as I've never seen definitive documentation from ProIV on that.

Our software supplier are asking for 10,000+ to upgrade to version 5.5 of PROIV. The support that we pay for is on a best Endeavour. I presume that PROIV will still supply keys for version 4 still?

I would suggest that you contact ProIV directly if you have concerns about getting new keys or changing vendors. They can give you guidance and possibly contacts for that process. Unfortunately, I don't know the ProIV folks that you would talk to on the other side of the Atlantic.

hth,

Joseph

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users