#1 trc773

trc773

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 03:18 PM

Hi All,

I have a problem.

I am a police officer, not a programmer. We do not have a programmer on staff. I have had very little training in Pro-IV. We have broken our relationship with our VAR. I am trying to extract data from my Pro-IV v4.6000 on a SCO UNIX platform, to give to a new vendor with a new (to us) database.

Our new vendor is reporting that many files are reporting corrupted records. In some cases 50% of the records are corrupt. At the recommendation of our former VAR, I ran the ischk utility faithfully daily. I am learning that ischk can cause problems.

I have limited access within Pro-IV. I can get to the security menu so I can give myself access to anything. I can get to the command prompt in UNIX and have generated tar files and extract them, which is how I was able to provide the new vendor with files.

My questions are:

Does ischk cause a problem?

If so, is there a way to correct or repair the problem caused by ischk?

Are 15+ years of backup tapes useless and we will lose all of our old data?

Thanks

TC

#2 Joseph Bove

Joseph Bove

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 03:35 PM

tc,

I'll generically because there are likely some critical details that are missing.

ischk - in and of itself will not damage a file.

However, ischk run with the -y option on a live system could damage a file.

ischk run without the -y option is basically a diagnostic that verifies the consistency of the key portions and addresses portions of a file. You can do a search on this site to find a lot of posts about ischk that go into a lot of detail.

When ischk is run on a live system, it can generate false positives because the file is "in motion".

Depending on the corruption, you should be able to extract the data. You'll find the names of a couple of tools people have used to do this by searching this forum.

If you're new vendor is not proficient in ProIV, you may want to consider hiring a ProIV consultant to review your data. If you've got 15 years worth, it's probably worthwhile to some one knowledgeable help if you are seeing a high level of corruption.

hth,

Joseph

#3 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2006 - 03:35 PM

B) Step 1 would be to go and find a pro-iv programmer...
******Shameless plug*****
www.carrerasystems.co.uk
******Shameless plug*****

#4 Chris Pepper

Chris Pepper

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 03:42 PM

DONT' PANIC!

ischk does not normally make changes or corrupt data unless it attempts to "fix" problems.

So running "ischk fred.pro" will not mess things up but if you run "ischk -y fred.pro" or answer "y" to fix if it finds problems then you MAY get problems. Thet's because it copies the data across to another copy of the file and may not be able a access all the data. You'd probably notice in the application if you were getting missing records!

Was ischk reporting problems? If so does it report them at your end?

So just running ischk will not cause problems - I would not expect this to be the problem. There may be some problem in the VAR actually reading the media or something. What errors are they getting? There are a number of possible reasons why there could be problems.

There is a "third party" tool for retreiving information from "corrupted" PRo-Isam files if all else fails.

(Joseph got there before me again!)

Edited by Chris Pepper, 11 September 2006 - 03:43 PM.

#5 Guest_Guest_guest_*

Guest_Guest_guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2006 - 03:57 PM

"I can get to the command prompt in UNIX and have generated tar files and extract them, which is how I was able to provide the new vendor with files."

Moving them from one platform to another can cause corruption as well ...It's best to isout them ... move them/tar and send to vendor ... then he can isout them and use.

Also remember your new var must have pro 4 running to read the new pro-isam file.

#6 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2006 - 03:58 PM

ooooops ... ... then he can isout them and use.

s/b

... then he can isin them and use.

#7 Guest_They're onto us_*

Guest_They're onto us_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2006 - 10:31 PM

I am a police officer, not a programmer. 

I knew it was only a matter of time..... B)

#8 Bob Filipiak

Bob Filipiak

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 01:08 PM

I am a police officer, not a programmer.

In the event the system just will not provide what you are looking for; will you have it "arrested" for obstructing justice.

Sorry - - but I just could not resist.

"""Alright computer, keys up!!!! Mouse behind your monitor"""

One other serious point in mind - you MAY have to extract your data in other ways; so check out whether or not you have file definitions and a development environment. Both would be necessary if you had to go that other route.

Bob Filipiak

#9 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2006 - 10:50 PM

Very unlikely your files are as corrupt as your vendor indicates. MOST LIKELY you simply transferred the files from point A to point B using an FTP process running in ASCII mode rather than Binary mode. This would cause periodic line feed characters to be inserted in the file data, thus corrupting it. If this is not the case, and if you need help, look at www.net-aware.com for tools/help.

#10 Mike Schoen

Mike Schoen

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 01:43 PM

Also, if the vendor is using a different platform, they may be byte-reversed.
Linux and hpux/aix use a different byte-ordering, and it is necessary to ischk .pro files after transfer, to byte-reverse them.
ischk will detect this, report that the files are byte-reversed and ask if you want to byte-reverse them.

#11 trc773

trc773

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 12:01 PM

Thank you all.

I got hold of a manual, actually read part of it, and used isout. I got most but not all of the file I needed most urgently. I can recreate the missing records.

As a side note, several of my co-workers have informed me I am not a police officer any more, I have become a well-armed, overweight clerk typist.

Thanks again,

TC

#12 Donald Miller

Donald Miller

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycling, Running, Cooking

Posted 14 September 2006 - 08:51 PM

TC

It's a long shot - but you don't happen to be working with "Holmes" from the original Northgate (of the 80's) ?
Half of what he said meant something else, and the other half didn't mean anytthing at all

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users