#1 Gary Wilhelm

Gary Wilhelm

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 08:00 PM

Hey everyone.

I wrote a calendar programs several years ago that has outgrown it's data size. Only because of the way I displayed the data is it so slow. I used a file that was not sorted. Anyway, from this I have tried to create a sort file. Just a 3 key file that I use as the primary file to speed up the select process. The function is displaying a paging screen. When the paging screen displays the data in lookup, all works well. When I change modes to 'Change' mode, I am having file read errors. Oh yea, I'm using Developer Studio (I haven't coverted to VIP yet) and ISAM files (so no SQL statements) PROIV version 5.5.

Anyone have any suggestions what's going on?

#2 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2006 - 08:48 PM

If they are all key fields on a paging screen, do you have them flagged as MI, AR, and OV?

#3 Gary Wilhelm

Gary Wilhelm

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 09:14 PM

I'm not sure I understand your question

#4 Joseph Bove

Joseph Bove

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 09:36 PM

Gary,

I think Guest is getting at the fact that keys displayed in a paging screen can change when you attempt to access the records if they are not set at the field level to be Mandatory Input, Auto Repeat, and No Change.

Assuming the structure of the LS is

001 SORTFILE
002 REALFILE

Does a UMSG in the before read on the secondary file show that the keys are properly set?

Also, is your read error on the SORTFILE or the REALFILE?

Regards,

Joseph

#5 Chris Pepper

Chris Pepper

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 09:53 AM

...and check the File Read Field.

Typically this is not important for the driving file when reading in a paging screen, but the value needs to be correct when re-reading the record in Change mode.

Basically - check it has all the key data available when it re-reads the record, that means setting the flags as descrbed above to make it buffer the keys. Maybe you are not even displaying the data from your key file if it's just there for sequencing, so you need to display (and hide?) the keys.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users