- - - - -

UPS Address Validation Tool

9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Joseph V.G. Orendain_*

Guest_Joseph V.G. Orendain_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2006 - 02:08 PM

Good Morning everybody, hope everybody is having a great time!

I have some questions and needs advise – somebody might have done this before . We want to implement (the easiest way) an addres checking tool that will be called from GLOVIA (from unix server) using UPS address validation tool.

Our resources right now :
1. GLOVIA application running in HP UNIX.
2. GLOVIA ProIV version 4.6 in unix
3. ProIV version 5.5 and VIP version 5.5920 in unix
4. Concerto Universal in windows. (apache web server).

Based from documentation we got from UPS, their address validation tool can be used by using language that supports HTTP communication across internet socket and secure connections and the knowledge to decode and enconde XML documents.

Basically, we would like to be able to send address information (city,state, zip) to UPS and then process their response and then save it in GLOVIA for later processing. The idea is to validate customer service address entry and then prompt them for the correct information WHILE in GLOVIA. If the processing will slow down GLOVIA application, we’ll then prefer to have it process in batch. With my little knowledge of web programming, can this be done without openning a web browser or the process has to call a web browser behind the scene just to send a POST request to UPS?. I think creating the XML document in GLOVIA is easy enough but the main problem is how to initiate the communication between GLOVIA and UPS.

Thanks for the advise in advance.

Joseph Orendain

#2 Vol Yip

Vol Yip

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 11:07 AM

Hi Joseph,

I have written a similar customization for a customer in Australia where the customer obtains a DB from the post office which validates the Zip code, City and State.

In Glovia, whenever an address is entered, it checks the DB and make sure the Zip code, City and State matches otherwise prompts users for correction (it actually pops up a window for user selection if Zip code maps to mulitple cities in a states).

So, everything does not need to be on line and linked to Post Office unless there is any changes in the offline DB.

I don't know how and what details you want to validate from UPS's DB but I hope the above will give you some insights.

Regards,

Vol

#3 Guest_Joseph V.G. Orendain_*

• Guests

Posted 18 July 2006 - 06:06 PM

Thanks Vol!

How are you doing?

Actually, that is my second option, to build a database of address and then have it updated every week or so. The problem I have right now is where to get the information. I contacted USPS but they dont provide address information or database because of privacy act. I will still have to check for private companies that provide address information. Thanks again.

Joseph

#4 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2006 - 06:18 PM

http://www.usps.com/...ion/welcome.htm

#5 George Walton

George Walton

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 01:06 PM

Hi

If this is in the US I have used a file from Zipcode World. I have then created a DB keyed primarily on Zip Code. When an address is entered the Zip Code is entered first and the City can then be selected. The prime info is now 100% (and spelled correctly). The street address then needs to be entered which is not validated. This works very well. I hope this might give you insight into further options.

George Walton Sr.

#6 Bob Filipiak

Bob Filipiak

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 01:22 PM

Joseph,

When we get a US address that looks screwy, or does not have a zip code, I use this link:

http://zip4.usps.com/zip4/welcome.jsp

It has saved me some grief - bad customer supplied address, wrong zipcodes, etc

I understand that Canada Post has a similar site.

I only wish I had a way to validate European addresses,

Bob Filipiak

#7 Rob Donovan

Rob Donovan

rob@proivrc.com

• Admin
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 10:31 AM

I only wish I had a way to validate European addresses

Have you had a look at this site....

http://www.qas.com/address-search.asp

Maybe it could help....

Rob.

#8 Guest_Joseph V.G. Orendain_*

• Guests

Posted 20 July 2006 - 01:50 PM

Joseph,

When we get a US address that looks screwy, or does not have a zip code, I use this link:

http://zip4.usps.com/zip4/welcome.jsp

It has saved me some grief - bad customer supplied address, wrong zipcodes, etc

I understand that Canada Post has a similar site.

I only wish I had a way to validate European addresses,

Bob Filipiak

Thanks Bob, but do you do it manually?

#9 Guest_Joseph V.G. Orendain_*

• Guests

Posted 20 July 2006 - 01:51 PM

Thanks everybody for the information. I will check it out.

Joseph

#10 Bob Filipiak

Bob Filipiak

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 04:35 PM

Joseph,

I failed to read your post thoroghly, and the answer to the manual question is "YES", partially due to the low volume of verifcations.

I did not realize that you wanted to nail a bad address as it gets entered by the customer. Since we are working toward an "E store" ourselves, this will eventually become an issue for us (although NOT in PRO-IV).

Bob Filipiak

Edited by Bob Filipiak, 20 July 2006 - 04:36 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users