3 replies to this topic

#1 Balaram

Balaram

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 07:18 AM

hello everybody,
Can anyone tell me if there is anyway , that could be used in deleting the dictionary variables (SLDICTS). i am into a problem , which i am not able to sort it out for quite few days now. I declared a variable with a data type 'A' , and now i want to change its data type to 'N' , retaining the same field name .

i tried dleting the data dictionary variables (SLDICTS ), but then it says " VARIABLE USED IN CONTROLLED FILES" , is there any way out dealing with such problem .

Can a simple screen be written and the delete the function using bootstrat file FVARDEF. it has got a variable @FVNM , which consists the variable name ... i just want to clarify with the experts here before playing around with bootstrap files(PLAYING SAFE :rolleyes: ).

Thanks in advance
Balaram.

#2 George Macken

George Macken

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 08:57 AM

Hi

Its a long time sign I've used SL

I presume you need to remove the field from both SL Dictionary and PRO-IV Dictionary.
As mentioned @FVAR will remove the field at PRo-IV level, hopefully someone else can supply name of the function to use to remove the variable at the SL Level.

If there is not a SL function to achieve removing the field then if you have the "correct" file definitions for these files then write a simple screen function to enter in the key values, display the variable name etc., and an OK to confirm delete of the record.

Rgds

George

#3 Vol Yip

Vol Yip

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 11:21 PM

I have deleted SL dictionary variables many times without any problem.

You may first want to find out which file(s) is/are using this variable. Remove it from the file(s)

Then go to SLDICTS and delete the variable

You either add the variable back in SLDICTS or add it in SLFILES in any one of the file which requires the variable.

I never encountered "VARIABLE USED IN CONTROLLED FILES" though.

#4 cdi_rajesh

cdi_rajesh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 04:39 AM

Balaram,

The environment u r using might not allow u to do so (lack of permission). check with ur counterpart they should be able to help U or talk to someone.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users