Alternatives to automated scripts...

8 replies to this topic

#1 calebsg

calebsg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 02:34 PM

We have some of our clients set up with a cron job or Scheduled Task that fires up a ProIV client with a specific piv that imports some data from a text file into the database.

The problem is when there are no free licenses the function in ProIV doesn't run and the stuff doesn't get imported.

I'm sure others have come up against this and I'm wondering if there is any way around it without purchasing more licenses. The function in ProIV that runs only takes a second or two and immediately exits ProIV. I am only interested in legitimate ways of dealing with this.

TIA
Caleb

#2 George Macken

George Macken

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 04:26 PM

We have 50 "clients" using a non-proiv stand-alone application for data capture etc,. these transactions are messaged as text files to the server and pro-iv then imports the data to the db.

Could you amend the "client task" to a process that moves the data (text files) to a server directory.
This would need the files to be uniquely named coming from many clients.

Then set up a service/con-job (hourly) on your server that kicks off pro-iv to import all of the files in the import directory. This way only 1 pro-iv licence required. you could monitor the import directory on the server to ensure that the "Client" files are being processed.

hope i understood your reuirement

rgds

george

#3 calebsg

calebsg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 04:54 PM

Well maybe I wasn't clear enough. An example of the situation is we have a customer with two dozen PC's and maybe 7 ProIV licenses. What happens is that they have all 7 licenses open and then a scheduled task tries to run a ProIV func that imports some data from an outside source into the software. It chokes because they have all the licenses tied up. So I am wondering how to get around that situation. I was wondering about having some of the relevant funcs in the GUI actually check for the file and then import with a global update func from the inside...

Thanks,
Caleb

#4 DARREN

DARREN

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 07:51 PM

Buy a single seat component license and get the cron job to run the process as a task. You can shield this license from interactive users via the config settings.
Things should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler

#5 Wim Soutendijk

Wim Soutendijk

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 09:21 AM

maintain a counter yourself in the logon screen, and make sure no more than 6 users are running at the same time, so your 7th user can always be used for the importing of data

#6 Bob Filipiak

Bob Filipiak

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 01:12 PM

Calebsg,

I realize that this is looking at 'it from the bck end'; but, are there users that are simply logged in to the kernel, and just idle?

While it would be rude just to kick loose an idle user; doing so would open up a license.

There are some companies that take a dim view to a computer logged in with no one actively working on it. Quitely probe your client and see how they feel about that. A solution may be at hand.

Bob Filipiak

#7 Joseph Bove

Joseph Bove

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 03:24 PM

Darren,

Buy a single seat component license and get the cron job to run the process as a task. You can shield this license from interactive users via the config settings.

Would this solution work if two users needed to use the component license at the exact same time?

Regards,

Joseph

#8 Guest_Guest_Daniel_*

Guest_Guest_Daniel_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2006 - 07:02 AM

Joseph,

There's a parameter which can be configured when setting up the bus to specify a timeout limit on starting a new kernel to run a task. As long as this parameter is set to a higher value than the duration of the task, two simultaneous calls would be processed one after the other.

I've only worked with the java version of the bus, not the c version, but i'm assuming the same behaviour would apply to both.

Daniel

#9 Joseph Bove

Joseph Bove

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 01:38 PM

Daniel,

Thanks for the info.

Regards,

Joseph