- - - - -

Tracking PROIV Modifications

10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_rubyeye_*

Guest_rubyeye_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2006 - 07:24 AM

I have a query. We have customers who are rather 'creative' in modifying functions. Inevitably, something goes wrong and they come crying to us. Is there any way to track the modifications done to a PROIV function. This would include the operator ID of the person doing the modifications

#2 Joseph Bove

Joseph Bove

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 02:45 AM

Rubyeye,

What version are you working with and what development platform?

Regards,

Joseph

#3 Guest_rubyeye_*

Guest_rubyeye_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2006 - 07:19 AM

We're using Version 4.6 and Superlayer. The customer's platforms vary from Solaris and Unix to Windows

#4 Tyleulen

Tyleulen

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 05:15 PM

I would also be interested in tracking changes. We are using VIP and P4 5.5

#5 Glenn Meyers

Glenn Meyers

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:I also raise African Gray Parrots and build hot rod automobiles.

Posted 29 March 2006 - 07:39 PM

oops!
Glenn

Edited by Glenn Meyers, 29 March 2006 - 07:40 PM.

#6 Glenn Meyers

Glenn Meyers

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:I also raise African Gray Parrots and build hot rod automobiles.

Posted 29 March 2006 - 07:39 PM

The time stamps in the function header will show the time. date and operator that last regenned a function.

This is the only record Standard ProIV keeps of the changes in a function. If the timestamp is different than the original port, there MAY have been changes made.

Because I have an un-touched Superlayer environment available to me. I can do compares to check the status of a function. I print out both the suspect function and the origional function and use a program called Textpad to detect and annotate the differences. Make certain to use the same sleections when printing out the docs to get accurate results.

If you had tape backups and restored them in theory you could, with a huge effort, find all the changes but I doubt that this would be worth the effort.

Good Luck,

Glenn

#7 Bob Filipiak

Bob Filipiak

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 10:40 PM

Rubyeye,

I would look at this as a source of revenue, and if the customer does not have the brains to keep an unmodified copy of the function, then they deserve to "pay". I learned that lesson a long time ago - keep a clean version of all functions somewhere, and always document changes.

Native has a section on @FUN (if i remember correctly) that takes in text lines - here is where I noted modifications, also, I had dozens of notebooks with commented source code, flowcharts, etc.

Other than that, institute a policy - 'if you wipe out the function, you will have to "buy" it again.'

Tell the customer to keep their fingers out of the development side, or change their security to prevent access.

If they insist - then tell them that you are 'Not a fan of the 'blues'.

Bob Filipiak :-"

#8 Chris Pepper

Chris Pepper

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 07:08 AM

Tyleulen, if you're running recent versions you may want to look at the new ProIV Configuration Management toolset that Northgate have.

For older versions it's a case of rolling your own. You can link in to various configuration management tools by extracting individual Functions. You can do this in export format, but to use the full power of the tools you need to extract them into text files.

#9 Rob Donovan

Rob Donovan

rob@proivrc.com

• Admin
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 04:06 PM

Hi,

Soon, I will be making ProIV IDE show a list of changes made to a function.

The way ProIV IDE updates ProIV code, is by the ProIV IDE client telling the kernel what changes are made to the function, via a flat file. It does not just send the whole function back.

Currently, once the changes have been saved back to the ProIV side (ie bootstraps), I just remove this file, however, I am planning on having a 'logging' option, so that the flat file is archived into a directory, where it can be searched and displayed. I just need to write some tools around this.

Also, ProIV IDE outputs functions to a CSV format (via a bulk option), so that they can then be stored into a CVS type system. I am currently looking at enhancing this part of IDE for a large customer that uses IDE so that they can integrate a version control system around their ProIV system.

I am currently also adding a new utility to IDE that will allow you to compare 2 functions, and display the differences.

Rob D.

#10 Neil Hunter

Neil Hunter

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 04:28 PM

Very interesting Rob. Any idea on a possible release date ?

Anybody using ProIV's CCN system successfully ?

#11 Rob Donovan

Rob Donovan

rob@proivrc.com

• Admin
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 05:07 PM

Hi,

No release date yet, but it should not be 'too' far into the future.

I'm currently making IDE support ProIV versions 4.0, 4.6 and 5.0 at the moment, since I've had quite a bit of interest for older versions.

That should be finished next week some time, I hope.

Then I have to do a few other things to tidy up, and then I will hopefully be able to start looking more into version control and comparing. It should not take too long though, as the main core of it is all there, its just getting the presentation / interaction layer correct.

I'll keep you up to date with various posts soon.

Rob.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users