11 replies to this topic

#1 Dan Shannon

Dan Shannon

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 12:38 AM

Despite (or because of) all the hype surrounding Wikipedia's 'accuracy', I thought I'd see what it held for PRO-IV... in summary it basically said 'harmless'.

I've changed it to say something roughly akin to 'mostly harmless', but I'm sure all you PRO-IV heads would like to see it improved - I'd suggest that we need to include sections on History, Description, Features, major Applications, and perhaps (links) on significant people in the PRO-IV world.

The PRO-IV page is at Wikipedia Pro-IV entry.

Cheers

Dan

#2 Mike Nicholson

Mike Nicholson

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 03:40 AM

Interesting as (rather sadly) I looked for that a couple of weeks back and there was no entry, so that's pretty recent.

I did find a Pro4 entry about a radio controlled car though. Not sure which one would crash less ... ;-)

#3 Guest_Guest_sudhakar_*

Guest_Guest_sudhakar_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2005 - 03:58 AM

I changed major applications section

Thanks,
Sudhakar Chunduri

#4 Ashok Prakash G

Ashok Prakash G

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 04:55 AM

Hi All,

Changed the Major Application Section to include (Manufacturing) inventory management also.

#5 CSuarezdelReal

CSuarezdelReal

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 05:29 PM

Though it could be controversial, I don't considered ProIV as a "Fourth-generation programming language" as stated in the Wikipedia Pro-IV entry, but rather a "Rapid Application Development (RAD) environment"...

Even Northgate call it RAD...

http://www.proiv.com...about/about.xsp

Edited by CSuarezdelReal, 30 December 2005 - 05:30 PM.

Claudio Suárez del Real
"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the ones most responsive to change."

#6 Joseph Bove

Joseph Bove

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 07:05 PM

CSuarezdelReal,

Though it could be controversial, I don't considered ProIV as a "Fourth-generation programming language" as stated in the Wikipedia Pro-IV entry, but rather a "Rapid Application Development (RAD) environment"...

I think both are true. I would argue that ProIV is 4GL as it ultimately creates C in the background. RAD I see more as a marketing claim than a technical distinction of a language.

I find it interesting that this website is listed above Northgate's website as an external link for ProIV. Northgate probably deserves top billing there.

Regards,

Joseph

#7 Richard Bassett

Richard Bassett

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 06:21 PM

Very good idea Dan, we should all try and make some time to contribute to that.

Wikipedia's definition of "4GL" seems to cover ProIV pretty well to me, although I'd be interested to know what specific things people believe distinguish a "RAD tool" from a 4GL.

Incidentally, as far as I know, ProIV never generates any "new" C - it's not a code generator. The kernel was written in C (for most platforms) and acts as the interpreter (VM) for the "bytecode" stored in the genfile.
Nothing's as simple as you think

#8 Joseph Bove

Joseph Bove

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 10:14 PM

Richard,

Incidentally, as far as I know, ProIV never generates any "new" C - it's not a code generator. The kernel was written in C (for most platforms) and acts as the interpreter (VM) for the "bytecode" stored in the genfile.

I was under the impression that ProIV did (or used to) actually generate C code.

At a generic level then, the point that I was trying to make is that ProIV would be considered a 4GL because it is developmentally one step beyond C (a 3GL).

I see a branding of fourth generation language as somewhat more measurable than the label rapid application development (RAD). From experience, I would definitely agree with the RAD label for ProIV. Also, I would say that ProIV has a strong case to self identify as RAD.

RAD, to me, seems to be a claim like "High performance sports car". A number of folks can make the claim and it generates certain general expectations (it will be fast), but not clear, specific ones (it will go 0 - 60 in under 5 seconds and have a top speed > 180 mph).

Regards,

Joseph

#9 Chris Pepper

Chris Pepper

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 10:53 PM

ProIV has never generated any 'C' code! The ProIV kernal was originally written in Assembler, certainly up to and including version 1.2. It used to take up about 26K on a PDP-11.

I'll have to see what gems I can dig up from my archives form old ProIV marketing material.

I still have an original "Pros use Pro-IV" badge somewhere!

#10 Mike Wright

Mike Wright

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Interests:I dance for money.

Posted 10 January 2006 - 08:32 AM

I still have an original "Pros use Pro-IV" badge somewhere!

Well, it is said to be the oldest trade.

:unsure:
Magicians disappear all the time, but as soon as a regular person does it, everyone is all scared.

#11 Joseph Bove

Joseph Bove

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 06:33 PM

Chris,

ProIV has never generated any 'C' code! The ProIV kernal was originally written in Assembler, certainly up to and including version 1.2. It used to take up about 26K on a PDP-11.

Ok... I reserve the right to be wrong. I just try not to do it on public forums...

Thanks for the info just the same.

I'd be curious to see what the Pros use ProIV button looks like. Maybe the good folks at ProIV can put together a challenge for another bottle of champaigne (or for money) to come up with the best new design for an appropriate Pros use ProIV button!

Regards,

Joseph

#12 Chris Pepper

Chris Pepper

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 08:24 PM

Joseph, we're all wrong here from time to time! At least we do it under our own names :unsure:

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users