- - - - -

Record Locking

8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_mxr_*

Guest_mxr_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2005 - 05:07 AM

Can anyone help pls? We are running Pro5.5 under Windows environment. When we get the message "Record Locking -Waiting: File:......" how can we find out who has locked the record. Under Unix environment we used to use isview to find out who is locking the record. Is there something in pro5.5's windows verions that I can use to solve this record locking problem.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestion. -Thanks!

#2 Donald Miller

Donald Miller

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycling, Running, Cooking

Posted 27 November 2005 - 03:16 PM

Don't know if this'll be any help but the Pro IV Service Manager shows the users that are currently logged on. The parent and current function are shown. The number of users logged on and your file searching facilities will determine if this is going to be any good for your problem.
Half of what he said meant something else, and the other half didn't mean anytthing at all

#3 Mike Wright

Mike Wright

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Interests:I dance for money.

Posted 28 November 2005 - 10:54 AM

Hi Donald,

What's the Pro IV Service Manager ? We've never heard of it. It would be great to see users who are logged on with associated functions / parents, etc.

Mike
Magicians disappear all the time, but as soon as a regular person does it, everyone is all scared.

#4 Rob Donovan

Rob Donovan

rob@proivrc.com

• Admin
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 04:00 PM

Hi,

You can find it in the ProIV install dir, where proiv.exe is...

Its called proadmin.exe

But it only works for Windows kernels...

For Unix you can write something to interpret the results from the isview utility to show you open files and what records are open / locked.

If you check out open records for FUNCTDEF.pro, then you can workout what function each user is in.

Rob D.

#5 Donald Miller

Donald Miller

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycling, Running, Cooking

Posted 29 November 2005 - 09:40 PM

Hi Mike

If you are using Windows then on my installation it's available from the Start/Programs/Pro IV 5.5 menu list. But while it may be useful for sending a message to all logged on users I don't know if it'll be any use to identify whose locking files.

Cheers
Half of what he said meant something else, and the other half didn't mean anytthing at all

#6 Guest_mxr_*

Guest_mxr_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2005 - 03:58 PM

Thank you all!!!

I tried to broadcast a message to all logged on users. It is not instantaneous. Basically, users don’t get the message when they are idle (just sitting on a screen or a record). They message pops up when an user becomes active (ex. selects any option from the screen or press any of the function keys, etc.). Is there any way we can make this message instantaneous? Thanks!

#7 Joseph Bove

Joseph Bove

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 11:11 PM

mxr,

We have used that ProIV Service Manager broadcast in quite some time. If memory serves, the answer is no.

You could try to build something with the Windows Messenger service, but that is usually turned off these days due to security holes / viruses.

hth,

Joseph

#8 mdexter

mdexter

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 05:41 PM

If you're using PRO-ISAM on Windows, there is no way that I'm aware of to see which user has which tables locked. If you're using SQL Server or Oracle, you can use the database to see who is locking which tables. Mark Dexter

#9 Kevin Bruss

Kevin Bruss

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 02:54 PM

In unix, you can use the 'fuser -u' command.. you can use

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users