#1 Joseph Bove

Joseph Bove

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 11:07 PM

Dear Gang,

I'm posting this on the extremely remote chance that anyone has seen and overcome this issue. ProIV is looking at it, but has never dealt with it either.

On an HP Ux 11, 64 bit box:

If I do a CLIENT.Receive of a file < 376 bytes, it transfers without any problem.
If I do a CLIENT.Receive of a file >= 376 bytes and I am not logged in as root, it hangs. If logged in as root, there is no problem.

Permissions are not an issue - at least as far as I can tell. I can set the file to 777 and still get hung.

When the transfer hangs, the file is overwritten with 0 bytes.

I'm thinking that the problem must be firewall...

GUI Client: 5.6.7.0 (but happens on earlier versions as well)
ProIV kernel: 5.1.7

Thanks in advance,

Joseph

#2 Guest_Guest Rick_*

Guest_Guest Rick_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2005 - 01:56 PM

Hi Joseph

No solution to your problem unfortunately...there's no error created in /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log (or equivalent)?

But a question unrelated - I notice you mention that you're running 5.17 on HP-UX - have you experimented with the new 384MB < file.pro < 2GB? Would love to hear any feedback if you have.

Thanks
Rick

#3 Lewis Mccabe

Lewis Mccabe

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 02:47 PM

Joseph,

We ran into a hang problem as well. We never did determine why because it only happened on one customer. Our app uses get and receive extensively. File size did not seem to be an issue. The only thing we could determine was environment. This was back on 5.5 rel 345. We put in a work around. All others worked fine. All systems are Windows 2000 or 2003 Server with 2000 or XP pro clients.

Lew

#4 Bill Loven

Bill Loven

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 03:36 PM

:) Joe, have you tried client.get or client.put? I uses these intead of receive or send.

#5 Joseph Bove

Joseph Bove

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 01:05 PM

Rick,

there's no error created in /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log (or equivalent)?

No errors

But a question unrelated - I notice you mention that you're running 5.17 on HP-UX - have you experimented with the new 384MB < file.pro < 2GB? Would love to hear any feedback if you have.

One of our clients (on Redhat ES 3.0) is experimenting with this. They appear to have broken the 384 barrier without any problem. They will be converting to Oracle shortly, so we don't expect them to grow the ProISAM file much further.

Regards,

Joseph

#6 Joseph Bove

Joseph Bove

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 01:06 PM

Bill,

Joe, have you tried client.get or client.put? I uses these intead of receive or send.

Put and Get experience the exact same problem.

Lew,

Thanks for the info.

Regards,

Joseph

#7 Joseph Bove

Joseph Bove

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 07:32 PM

FYI:

We have now isolated this issue and have a workaround. The "meaningful" difference between the root and non-root users were the shells that were running.

If the ProIV user is on the HP-UX kernel with a csh shell, the 375 byte limit exists. If on an sh shell, there is no file limitation for Client.Receive.

I hope that someday this information saves someone 16 - 20 hours of research and recoding.

Regards,

Joseph

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users