10 replies to this topic

#1 Moose74

Moose74

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 07:40 AM

Hi again guys,

This same system as mentioned before is driving me nuts with the way it handles printing. Apparently its printing directly to the printer only most of the time it throws out strange character codes instead of the actual line graphics that it is supposed to.

I've gone through the postings on here and seen some stuff on this but still can't get it to work. :D

I've mapped the required printer to the LPT1 port using the net use dos command, i've checked that its working by sending a directory of C: drive to the LPT port and it prints fine.

I've gone into ProIV and selected printer mappings from the view menu.
From here i've set
Pro-Iv Printer = LP0
Windows Printer = Device
Device name = LPT1

This prints but has the same strange character codes.

If i use Device name = LPT1:RAW then i get the message
"Printer LP0 not mapped, and there is no default printer"

The system then goes into a loop which it can't get out of and you have to control-alt-del to get out of the program which in turn locks the user out of the system and I have to log in as an admin to reset them.

Anyone got any idea where i'm going wrong?
:D

Cheers,
Moose

#2 CSuarezdelReal

CSuarezdelReal

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 01:44 PM

Hi Moose!

Why are you mapping a printer via net use?. Is such a printer availble thru the network? if so I would add the printer as a network one in the server and ProIV instead... just a kindda confusing to me...
Claudio Suárez del Real
"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the ones most responsive to change."

#3 Moose74

Moose74

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 03:03 PM

Hi Moose!

Why are you mapping a printer via net use?. Is such a printer availble thru the network? if so I would add the printer as a network one in the server and ProIV instead... just a kindda confusing to me...

Hi,

System seems only to be able to print to the LPT port.
Doesn't use windows system printers as far as i can tell.
(think it was originally written in an old dos version of ProIV)

Actually can map the printer from within ProIV to whatever printers are on the client PC but we don't get the correct output - &&&&&& symbols instead of lines that are supposed to (and do on somemachines) appear.

#4 Chris Pepper

Chris Pepper

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 11:00 AM

It looks like someone hardcoded the strings for a particular printer language.

Are those that work a particular manufacturer / type of printer?

#5 Bob Filipiak

Bob Filipiak

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 12:48 PM

Hey Moose,

The behavior you describe sounds reminiscient of what we had to do to get our Okidata printers to work like we wanted on our OLD Unix system.

Look for the spooler configuration screen. In our system there are two value variables - report start and report end. They conatin the name of a value variable whose contents we "throw' at the printer, before the report starts, and once the report is completed. Instead of using 14 x 11 paper, we just condensed the print. We also sent control codes to print in letter quality mode, etc. It sounds like your printer is not what the reports are "expecting".

HTH

Bob Filipiak

#6 Amy Sibilla

Amy Sibilla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 03:11 PM

Hi there,

I too am going crazy trying to print reports. My output only goes to the default printer (ignores @RPTOPT). For now my clients don't know that they could direct reports to other printers so I can get by BUT I can't get by with the reports all printing condensed. I have been reading posts, calling PROIV etc but nothing has worked. I am sure I'm just mixing everyones suggestions up... I feel like I have tried every combination.

Does anyone know how to stop the reports from printing condensed? Currently I print to the screen, save report as a file, open file in WORD and print. I want users to just say Print...

Thanks for any help... Amy

#7 Steven Torrance

Steven Torrance

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 03:52 PM

Amy,

Check post in separate topic.

Steven

#8 Donald Miller

Donald Miller

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycling, Running, Cooking

Posted 17 September 2005 - 02:39 PM

Amy

Sounds like there's an embedded control character in the Pro IV Report that sets the printer to condensed. Since control characters are printer specific (or manufacturer specific) it may not have the same effect on another printer. If you have access to the Pro IV code then you can change it (or remove it).
Half of what he said meant something else, and the other half didn't mean anytthing at all

#9 Donald Miller

Donald Miller

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycling, Running, Cooking

Posted 17 September 2005 - 02:43 PM

Moose74

Does your system have a value variable called &$GBL in it and does it contain
ÀÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ
ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÙ
?

If so, I can help.
Half of what he said meant something else, and the other half didn't mean anytthing at all

#10 Amy Sibilla

Amy Sibilla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 02:22 PM

Hi -

The proiv report doesn't have any control characters that I can find. I have written simple report functions that don't open my printer master file or anything - just prints (no @RPTOPT etc) and the reports are still condensed. I looked for a value variable &$GBL and didn't find it. ... Amy

#11 Richard Bassett

Richard Bassett

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 06:19 PM

Um, Amy, this may just be another dumb question, but..

Are you sure the printer itself isn't currently configured to do that by default (by which I suppose I mean when it receives a job that seems to be simply in plaintext/lineprinter form) ?

Sometimes it can be easy to overlook that if everything else sending jobs to the printer (eg. MS Word etc.) is 'automagically' massaging those print jobs based on knowledge of the specific printer model.

Edited by Richard Bassett, 21 September 2005 - 06:19 PM.

Nothing's as simple as you think

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users