Sorting Data

3 replies to this topic

#1 gdmjdkc

gdmjdkc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 03:47 PM

We are running VIP version 5.5921. Kernel 5.5 build 524, and using Microsoft SQL server as the back end.

I am trying to work with 2 files in ProIV. They are set up with a 1 to many relationship:

File1 = 1 to many = File2.

Multiple clients (File2) can share an appointment (File1) when with group sessions.

File1 is the appointment schedule and File2 contains the clients' appointment information.

File1 is keyed by: SequenceNum and Doctor

File2 is keyed by: SequenceNum and Client

The problem is the displayed sort. Even though it appears that ProIV can do this I have not actually been able to make it work.

When reviewing client information we want to select by client (File2) and sort in appointment date/time order (File1) and display them in a list box. File2 needs to be the primary file in the cycle and select only one client. That clients' appointment sequence number will link back to the appointment date and time.

I have checked the box on the file that includes the file in the sort select. The file appears in the list of files on the events tab in the sort/select cycle property window. I placed the Date and time fields in the sort select variable list and it does not sort the results.

I have also tried to do the sorting in the SQL call as well and that does not work.

I realize that I could dump the data into a temp file and then put the temp file in the list cycle but that would be the last resort. These files will eventually be very large and I think the performance hit would be big having to handle the same data twice. Once to put it into the temp file then again a smaller subset to display it to the screen in the list cycle.

Has anyone been up against this type of sorting issue?
Any help would be appreciated.

#2 Bill Loven

Bill Loven

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 06:31 PM

:( Are you using a join to build your data for your list box?

I use dynamic sql to build my list boxes with an order by and do not have any problens with presentation sorted. I also set each column to allow the user to sort on a column click.

HTH Bill.

#3 Bill Loven

Bill Loven

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 07:22 PM

:( One other thing I forgot to mention. We are on Oracle 10G. ProIv uses the Oracle API interface for access. ProIv must use ODBC to access MS SQL Server and may not be able to return the rows in the order that you expect. The reason for ODBC is the wonderful MS will not release thier API interface to Outside vendors such as ProIV.

The word Wonderful was just a joke.

HTH Bill.

#4 deepghosh

deepghosh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 11:05 PM

PROIV Client had an issue with Date Sorting on List Boxes. Please make sure that you have latest software.

BTW..ODBC is an widely used API with lots of books written on it. MS implementation sometimes gets fuzzy though.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users