Printing Reports in SL

13 replies to this topic

#1 Amy Sibilla

Amy Sibilla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 06:47 PM

Hi. I have been developing a system for a small business using superlayer. I am having problems generating decent looking forms. PROIV was unable to suggest a way to print profesional looking invoices, purchase orders etc. I have looked around at the topics but have not found exactly what I am looking for. Is there a report writing package (Crystal Reports?) that people are using or what are most of you doing to get output that compares to Quick Books etc? ... I need to atleast be able to adjust the fonts...

I am using PROIV 5.5 version 3.2.3

I would appreciate any help... Thank You, Amy

Where do I read about this???

#2 Lewis Mccabe

Lewis Mccabe

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 07:27 PM

Amy,

We used SL for years. The reporting section of SL is weak. We always printed using Native and now in VIP. You cannot change fonts within a report if written in PRO-IV. Check the postings here. Crystal is used often to accomplish what you want.

Lew

#3 Joseph Bove

Joseph Bove

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 08:04 PM

Amy,

We have an extensive custom reporting utility in our applications. Our fancy reports are done with HTML. The side-effect of using HTML is that page breaks are quite challenging to deal with.

hth,

Joseph

#4 Amy Sibilla

Amy Sibilla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 08:30 PM

Thank you for such quick responses! It sounds like crystal reports might be easier to learn but PROIV said something about needing to buy a product called "TRANSOFT"? I have searched on Crystal Reports but found no mention of this. It all sounds quite complicated to write a simple report.

#5 Joseph Bove

Joseph Bove

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 09:16 PM

Amy,

Transoft is required if you are using the ProISAM database. ProISAM is not SQL compliant. The Transoft drivers can read ProISAM. Without Transoft, Crystal would be incapable of seeing ProISAM data*.

* In general terms. I am sure that some folks have some other solutions, but Transoft is among the cleanest for using Crystal.

hth,

Joseph

#6 Vol Yip

Vol Yip

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 01:35 AM

My customers usually use Jetform. I.e., from SL, generates flat files and pump it to Jetform for Form printing.

#7 Mike Wright

Mike Wright

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Interests:I dance for money.

Posted 12 July 2005 - 09:25 AM

FYI We're using TRANSOFT drivers over CISAM files, and they're real simple to set up and use - so no problems whether you use ProISAM or CISAM.
Magicians disappear all the time, but as soon as a regular person does it, everyone is all scared.

#8 GBabula

GBabula

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 11:29 PM

Joseph,

Could you elaborate a bit on how you set the page breaks in HTML? This method might be a good solution for a project I'm working on.

Thanks,

~G

#9 Joseph Bove

Joseph Bove

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 06:04 PM

Gbabula,

We've gone through and calculated leading (or the amount of vertical space used) for each of the HTML features in a report. It's a nasty process, but there is a good way to "cheat".

If you format the top of your reports to include a graphic (even a blank one), then IE is very good about not starting a page in such a fashion that it would split a graphic on two pages.

So basically, each line of the report advances the page location by its leading value. When the calculated page location reaches the bottom of the page, you simply insert the graphic for the start of the next page and carry on to the next page.

The first time you do this, it will take a long time to make it work. However, as you move on to other reports, it becomes progressively easier each time.

hth,

Joseph

#10 GBabula

GBabula

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 06:58 PM

Joseph,

Thanks for the info! I just tried this out and was able to make the page break where I wanted. This technique looks to have great potential for producing the type of professional-looking documents we want to provide to our users.

What I'm doing is creating a blank text file (with .html extension), aliasing that file to a file def with a single field ("DATA_RECORD", length = 999), and just writing to that field for every line of HTML I need to create.
Ex.,
Logic in LS1
$$DATA_RECORD = {HTML code}
LSCALL(2) //LS 2 performs the write to the file
LSCALL(2)
LSCALL(2)
etc.

Jumping to a separate LS to write the record seems to be the only way to create separate lines of output in the text file containing the actual HTML code.

Have you developed any global logics or global functions to cut down on the tediousness of coding Pro-IV to product the HTML output? I'm thinking I can probably save myself some keystrokes by creating global logics to wrap some of my data elements in the more frequently used HTML tags.

Thanks again,
~G

#11 Guest_sl guru_*

Guest_sl guru_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2005 - 01:03 AM

Please try to use Megaforms software to print invoices with logos/lines/boxes etc.,

#12 Joseph Bove

Joseph Bove

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 02:34 PM

GBabula,

No, we haven't globalized anything yet. From previous experience though, I would actually shy away from using a global function called upwards of 100 times from within a report. Calling global functions is costly from a production / time point of view.

A nice global logic that includes LSCALL(2) might work well.

Glad to see that our experiences helped!

Regards,

Joseph

#13 Joseph Bove

Joseph Bove

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 02:52 PM

Sl guru,

Please try to use Megaforms software to print invoices with logos/lines/boxes etc.,

Did you have any further info about Megaforms?

Is there a trial version? Is there a cost? Is the cost a one time fee or per workstation fee?

Does Megasys actively support Megaforms for other ProIV vars? Does Megaforms only work with Super Layer?

Regards,

Joseph

#14 Donald Miller

Donald Miller

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycling, Running, Cooking

Posted 30 July 2005 - 02:31 PM

Hi Amy

To print graphics characters and vary the pitch from Pro IV it depends on what you are running. My system runs on Windows and if you don't print via the Windows print server then you can embed the appropriate control characters for the requirements that you want. This depends on the particular printer and its configuration.

You can change pitch and print graphics characters just like in Word for example. There was never a requirement to change fonts in my system, but if you can do it by sending the printer the appropriate control code, then you should be able to achieve that from Pro IV.

It's not very flexible and I am looking for an alternative so that logos, boxes, shading etc. can be included. If you do happen to print the same report through the Windows Print server then all the graphics characters are converted into language characters and it looks terrible.

When I get round to identifying a solution I'll post the information here. Don't hold your breath.

If you find one in the meantime - please do the same.
Half of what he said meant something else, and the other half didn't mean anytthing at all

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users