Multiple Database

3 replies to this topic

#1 mmeneses

mmeneses

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 04:49 PM

We have a lot of applications and incoming applications that need to access the SQL server. This is what I’m doing so far to access the other database (SQL server)… create an ORACLE VIEW and connect it via the gateway, then create the external file so I can use it in our PRO-IV application.

Though all of the apps were written in the ORACLE stored procedure it’s not a guarantee that you will have a quick response from the database because every time we request a query via gateway it slows down our glovia apps.

As far as I’m concerned I don’t want to resort to any other database layer. So since we have a lot of incoming projects I just thought of this using multiple databases in PRO-IV (SQL and ORACLE) so I can access it direct. Is this possible?

Thanks,
Mike

#2 Joseph Bove

Joseph Bove

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 05:12 PM

Mike,

It should be. We've used the multiple database to connect to 2 SQL Server databases at one time. It was relatively straightforward.

Although we haven't done SQL Server and Oracle at the same time, it should work well for you.

Regards,

Joseph

#3 Richard Bassett

Richard Bassett

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 05:31 PM

Mike,

Also bear in mind the problem that ProIV cannot itself coordinate a commit for any transaction that writes to more than one database. If you will have transactions doing that then consider carefully whether you need to worry about two-phase commit. If distributed transactions are not something you've had to worry about much before this might be a good time to do a little reading/research ;)

Good luck.
Nothing's as simple as you think

#4 mmeneses

mmeneses

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 06:40 PM

Joseph and Richard,

Thank you for the positive reply and I will try if I can do it and if not I will try to seek more help from you guys.

-Mike

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users