- - - - -

Another one bites the dust?

45 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Curious_*

Guest_Curious_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2005 - 12:16 PM

I've allegedly heard that allegedly a certain former Pro-IV company has allegedly ceased trading ComPLetely.
Anyone know any more details, as I'd like to do a little dance if it's true. :)

#2 Guest_Jason Cale_*

Guest_Jason Cale_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2005 - 12:13 PM

CPL Trading as normal, usual office number +44(0)1933 221400

#3 Stef

Stef

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 07:13 AM

Apparently my name is being dragged through the mud behind my back - which is a damned good trick if you can pull it off.
For the record, I an NOT the one who started this rumour! :)

#4 Stef

Stef

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 11:06 AM

Apparently CPL is now in the hands of the receivers, so a few more ProIV people are now on the market.
Unless someone knows different?

#5 Phil

Phil

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 11:56 AM

Can't wait to see Curious's Dance.........

#6 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2006 - 06:11 PM

Yeah, according to www.companieshouse.gov.uk Computer Productivity Limited is in receivership.
The details say it's a voluntary arrangement, whatever that means.

Looks like Intervolve is still trading though.

#7 Joseph Bove

Joseph Bove

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 02:20 AM

Um...

Is there a compelling reason for us in the US to care about CPL?

I'm asking out of sheer ignorance... Are they a big ProIV shop?

Regards,

Joseph

#8 Stef

Stef

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 06:57 AM

They used to bodyshop a handful of ProIV people.

#9 George Macken

George Macken

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 11:24 AM

I'm only interested in seeing Curious do his Dance if he as good as this groovy guy

http://www.i-am-bore...m?link_id=15154

this always make me chuckle

Rgds

George

#10 Guest_No Name_*

Guest_No Name_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2006 - 04:28 PM

As I heard it CPL went 'bust' as in they told all the staff to get lost and rebranded themself as Intervolve. No-one got any pay for the previous month, or holiday pay, or pay in lieu of notice, or redundancy pay. They then 'sold' what business they wanted to Intervolve (funnily enough owned by the same person) and declared CPL no-more, rendering them untouchable to claims from their former emloyees.

Nice.

#11 Bob Filipiak

Bob Filipiak

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 07:19 PM

No Name,

If what you say is true, that sounds like 'typical dirtbag employer' tricks. I have seen that in the building construction business some 25+ years ago. It happened to some one I know.

Dirtbag incorporated a new company, sold the assets of the old one to the new one, (and made sure that he lawyers did it right) then filed for bankruptcy, only after he got his "LOAN" to the company repaid. The company's other creditors and the former employees ended up S.O.L.

The best thing you can do is to make sure the name of the new company and the owner(s) are well disseminated to others in the programming community. Any prospective employee of this new firm may have second thoughts knowing the truth.

Bob Filipiak

#12 Nic Brough

Nic Brough

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 02:57 PM

No name, what you said sounds like mostly what happened, but with a couple of minor exceptions. I can add a bit more detail.

Some employees were transferred to Intervolve (without notice or consultation, and no real information about the right to walk away. Technically illegal, but at least preserved our continuity of employment). I don't know about the others who were transferred, but I didn't lose any salary or anything else. Just some sleep.

I'm not based with CPL/Intervolve, having been on an assignment for about 6 years now, so to me, CPL weren't much more than an agency, and I had no real contact with the other employees. I'm not sure what happened to the people in the office, although I probably knew less than half of them!

The new company is the same ownership, but one director of CPL has elected not to join Intervolve (don't know if he could join, and I don't know if there were other directors). Intervolve is under the same ownership as CPL, but with another director. (I think the share split is 100 and 20)

And for those of you who know me, no, I've no idea what I'm doing about all this at the moment. End of July though, I think I'm heading towards the "downshifting" career change thing. Or a long holiday. Or posting CVs online. I dunno.

#13 Anthony Kelsall

Anthony Kelsall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 07:56 PM

Hi Nic,
I've never spoke to you but I've worked for CPL for 4 1/2 years (that said a lot about the company/management). I worked on a customer site in Yorkshire.

Just before CPL came to an end one of the new Intervolve directors told me if I didn't sign within a few days I'd be replaced. After consideration (and sleepless nights) I told him that I wasn't interested and that I'd take my chances on the dole! The next day the other director told me I was being transferred and I couldn't do anything about it, which was total nonsense. After refusing, I was then made redundant on 31/3/6 (no redundancy pay other than claiming from the government).

However, due to their poor handling of the customer CPL lost the customer contract I worked on (due to not having anybody else in the company who could support them). Since the insolvency of CPL the customer has approached me to help them as they were left unsupported. (Probably the best thing that has happened to me. Although, I'm basically working as a contractor without the contractor money I still feel a lot more secure and have no issues who I'm working for now)

It stinks what has happened to everybody in the head office and now as I read your note it stinks even more as one of the "selling" points for Intervolve to me was the fact that they already had you lot down south onboard and happy to continue.

Without sounding too bitter - I wouldn't p%ss on any of them if they were on fire!
(w00t)

#14 Phil

Phil

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 07:06 AM

Hi Nic,
I've never spoke to you but I've worked for CPL for 4 1/2 years (that said a lot about the company/management). I worked on a customer site in Yorkshire.

Just before CPL came to an end one of the new Intervolve directors told me if I didn't sign within a few days I'd be replaced. After consideration (and sleepless nights) I told him that I wasn't interested and that I'd take my chances on the dole! The next day the other director told me I was being transferred and I couldn't do anything about it, which was total nonsense. After refusing, I was then made redundant on 31/3/6 (no redundancy pay other than claiming from the government).

However, due to their poor handling of the customer CPL lost the customer contract I worked on (due to not having anybody else in the company who could support them). Since the insolvency of CPL the customer has approached me to help them as they were left unsupported. (Probably the best thing that has happened to me. Although, I'm basically working as a contractor without the contractor money I still feel a lot more secure and have no issues who I'm working for now)

It stinks what has happened to everybody in the head office and now as I read your note it stinks even more as one of the "selling" points for Intervolve to me was the fact that they already had you lot down south onboard and happy to continue.

Without sounding too bitter - I wouldn't p%ss on any of them if they were on fire!
:mad:

That is shocking behaviour. How the F&£% are they allowed to operate like that ? (w00t)

#15 Guest_Steve Duffield_*

Guest_Steve Duffield_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2006 - 09:20 AM

Nic

I was one of the ones told to get lost without any compensation - I never even got my expenses paid so I actually paid out money to work for them!

By law I was entitled to a severance package worth just under 10 grand. All I got from them was a phone call 'you no longer work for us'. Fair enough if they had gone bust. But at HQ aren't there still half a dozen of the same people, answering the same telephones, sitting at the same desks in the same building? So what's changed? From my point of view, the name and nothing else. I have since found out that my old job is being done at Intervolve part-time, cash in hand by the person who used to cover for me!!

My advice to you is to get out without delay unless you like the idea of working for someone for a month for zip (happily I managed to avoid this, others were not so lucky).

Steve.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users