- - - - -

ChESS CCN table probelm

11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_John Shen_*

Guest_John Shen_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2005 - 01:44 AM

I have a very strange problem in ChESS CCN table since Monday. There is only one record in the file. It has been repeatedly losing all the contents of all the fields except the key. The file is mission-critical to the entire application. No sooner do we fix it, but less than an hour later, with only 20 or so users on the system, the file gets erased again.

We have had this problem before, but then it would just happen once, we would fix it, and have no problem for several years. Now it is happening every few minutes.

I realise the version of PRO-IV we have is very primitive, but the issue seems to be non-version-specific.

I would be grateful for any suggestions, or requests fro clarification.

Thanks.

Regards,
John Shen
IT Manager
MSA (Australia) Pty Ltd

#2 CSuarezdelReal

CSuarezdelReal

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 03:01 PM

Hi John!

To me, it looks like you have added or modified a function that mess with the CCN table. I would think you are, somewhere, accessing the CCN file in change mode, and then, refering the CCN a second time with no alternate (so that both instances of CCN can interchange fields with no direct assignment). The second CCN call might be clearing the original CCN values, but the keys.

I would check all the functions that have been regenerated during the last three days to identify which ones to review. I created a special screen function that shows a subset (or all) the function modified sorted by modified date, which is not a big deal.

Regards,
Claudio Suárez del Real
"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the ones most responsive to change."

#3 Jschuurkes

Jschuurkes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 06:35 PM

Hello John,

Did you contact the Glovia Worldwide Support Centre about this problem? :(

If not, could you please give me some more details avout ProIV version, Chess version, database etc.

Regards,

Jack

Edited by Jschuurkes, 22 March 2005 - 06:36 PM.

It takes months to find a customer, seconds to lose one......

#4 Guest_Andy Kay_*

Guest_Andy Kay_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2005 - 05:03 PM

Hi John,

2 things to look at.

1) Have you recently done an upgrade that might be causing this?

and

2) You could write an update/screen that will show you where the CCN file is not in 'L' mode. I don't know about CHESS, but GLOVIA has a function "WHERE USED" where you could specify a file and you'd be given every function that uses that file and the mode it's in.

Also, I assume you have a TEST environment...is it happening there, too? If not, stop all development in DEV and compare the 2 environments.

#5 CSuarezdelReal

CSuarezdelReal

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 09:29 PM

FYI

CCN is key in about 99% of ALL the tables in Chess/Glovia. You'd get a large list of functions where the file is in a mode other than "L". If you combine that result to the date genned/regenned, you will narrow the options significantly, though.

"WHERE USED" is an option of Super Layer (not Glovia), so CHESS can use it either (in ProIV you have an equivalent one). Since Chess might have a few Pro IV functions, I would rather do my analysis from the Pro IV perspective that would include Super Layer (Obviously a Super Layer only analysis not necessarily includes all the Pro IV function).
Claudio Suárez del Real
"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the ones most responsive to change."

#6 Guest_AK_*

Guest_AK_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2005 - 11:53 PM

FYI, Claud...

If you come down from the mountain you are sitting upon, you'd be able to see clearly that I did not say to write an update to check the CCN field, which you so knowledgefully said, "...is used in 99% of all files"...I said where the CCN File is other than L mode.

Secondly, as I said, I have not worked with CHESS, which is the precursor to GLOVIA, which as you once again so knowledgefully mentioned can be ran with SL. But as I pointed out, Claud, having not worked with CHESS and having it being a precursor to a SL version, it's not far fetched to concieve that they may be running it on something other than SL which may not have the WHERE USED functionality.

It's people like you, Claud, that give ProIV programmers a bad name. Check your attitude at the door when you enter and try to focus on helping others instead of throwing your mud around, dirtying up the place, and trying to make yourself look more knowledgeable than your response would indicate.

#7 Chris Pepper

Chris Pepper

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 08:34 AM

On a historical note... "Chess" was written for Xerox by GDI (S. Garg and company). Superlayer was created by them as a tool specifically to write Chess. Chess was renamed as Glovia when the product was bought from Xerox.

Edited by Chris Pepper, 24 March 2005 - 08:35 AM.

#8 Ashok Prakash G

Ashok Prakash G

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 08:49 AM

Hi ,

Take a cross reference of the file CCN check where the file is used in C or B both modes and then check where that function really need the file CCN to be in that mode. if not change the mode to L.

Thanks and Regards,

Ashok

#9 Richard Politiek

Richard Politiek

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 10:28 AM

I would also search in PRO-IV where the CCN Table is used in B or C-mode, but I would add not to forget to search where CCN is read as alternate file (also B or C-mode).

#10 CSuarezdelReal

CSuarezdelReal

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 01:38 AM

As far as I rememeber Chess was renamed Glovia when Fujitsu came to play the game, back around 1996-1997.
Claudio Suárez del Real

#11 Kevin Bruss

Kevin Bruss

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 07:14 PM

There is a cross-reference tool that may be a little tucked away, due to being on the pro-iv side of menus. Its on the @DM menu in Chess (presumably Glovia as well) (accessable via @MAIN).
It is option #6 (@FXREF). Just supply the table name (CCN), Sort by (N)ame, Reset functions (N).

It takes awhile, but it gives you the modes you need to compare along with the functions that are in use by the table. Similiar info is available via a Superlayer explosion I beleive (SL4U menu).
You can just pass the info into a text file and then process with excel using autofilters or something to make the sleuthing task go a bit quicker.

#12 Kevin Bruss

Kevin Bruss

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 07:17 PM

You may also want to look at running a trace/capture on the Oracle/SQL Enterprise Server/Manager Console. Perhaps you can find the precise action taking place on the CCN table that way as well. You could have another ODBC like connection that could be at fault which would be outisde of Chess.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users