25 replies to this topic

#16 Phil

Phil

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 10:09 AM

So Guest_Rob Morgan how are you getting on with VIP ?

BTW I think I have worked with you before.

#17 Guest_guest23_*

Guest_guest23_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2004 - 12:34 PM

But why not just VIP- it's pretty useful once you get into it.

Cause its the worst bit of software I've ever seen!

How about we have a competition. You suggest a development environment to use
someone else suggests some test s/w to develop. And we see who produces the
most functionally rich solution in the shortest time. Ideally something interfacing to
Oracle and SQLserver that will run on any Windows client and on any Unix or Windows
server.

It's easy to say something is 'worst' but its just opinion if you don't back it up.

#18 Rob Morgan

Rob Morgan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 02:18 PM

Hi Phil,

Yes, I think we have met before somewhere.

I've been busy so have only just loaded the CD today. It's probably really good once I figure out how to start the bloody thing. Clicking on Pro-IV Single Dev on the start menu brings up a "PRO-IV - server.piv" Window that opens a secondary "connection status" window. This just alternates the messages "Waiting for connection to Pro-IV" and "Direct connection to host". Lucky for me this window has a "CANCEL" button on it else I would be forced to watch these two messages flashing all day. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is as far as I get. The VIP tutorial looks good too, but still doesn't tell me how to kick it off and as I can't find a "VIP Start Button" I guess I'll never get to see/use it. What I wouldn't do for a nice bit of @MOD or PRO-AIDE right now...

#19 Rob Donovan

Rob Donovan

rob@proivrc.com

• Admin
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 08:15 PM

Hi Rob,

If you want native, just isin dbase.out from a standard version of ProIV and this should give you native back.

Rob D.

#20 Papa Lazarou

Papa Lazarou

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Collecting wives, pegs.

Posted 08 December 2004 - 12:52 AM

Clicking on Pro-IV Single Dev on the start menu brings up a "PRO-IV - server.piv" Window that opens a secondary "connection status" window.  This just alternates the messages "Waiting for connection to Pro-IV" and "Direct connection to host".

This sounds exactly like what happens when the ProIV server/service isn't running. (I guess the same will apply to Single Dev)

Three things I can think of.

Perhaps you've installed on Win9x/ME and I don't think these platforms are capable of running ProIV as a service.
Only Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 is supported according to the FAQ at http://www.proiv.com...m.xsp?id=001900

The ProIV service isn't auto-starting for some reason. Check Services in Window's Administrative Tools.
(and is your 'user' an admin? you probably needed to have admin rights when installing too)

Perhaps you have some firewall software running and it is blocking the client and/or ProIV service from making a connection to the other?

Hopefully your problem is one of the above? :huh:
You're my wife now, Dave!

#21 wilhelgl

wilhelgl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 03:59 PM

[QUOTE]Cause its the worst bit of software I've ever seen!
I totally disagree. You can teach an 'old dog' new tricks. I've been programming in various languages since 1968 and I believe that VIP is very efficient once you learn it. I've been using PROIV since 1985. Give it a chance!

#22 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2004 - 03:59 PM

Hi Rob,

If you want native, just isin dbase.out from a standard version of ProIV and this should give you native back.

Rob D.

Have you actually tried that Rob?

Maybe when I did it I made an error I didn't see at the time.

Certainly it stuffed up my installation. Which is why I did a run-time export
instead, as described earlier in the thread. After having to uninstall Single
developer and clean up the PC.

HTH

#23 Rob Donovan

Rob Donovan

rob@proivrc.com

• Admin
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 08:21 PM

Hi,

No, I hadn't tried it, but I would have expected it to work.

Had you shutdown all services (pro32srv & SD_pro32srv) and sessions before you isin'ed, since you will get corrupt ProISAM files if any where open if you use isin.

Also, what do you mean by 'Stuffed up my installation'?

Also, what else did you have to do other than uninstall SD to 'clean up your PC', uninstalling SD should clean it all up, or were there things that the uninstall did not do propery?

If the uninstall did not work correctly, then maybe you should report it as a bug.

Rob.

#24 Mike Wright

Mike Wright

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Interests:I dance for money.

Posted 09 December 2004 - 08:46 AM

[quote name='wilhelgl' date='8 Dec 2004, 15:59'][quote]Cause its the worst bit of software I've ever seen![/quote]
It really is a fast and efficient development tool once you get your head around the quirks. I'm much faster using VIP than I used to be with Dev Studio.

BTW - The VIP fan club are having their Christmas get together next week. After looking at the membership numbers, we're thinking of having it in a phone box.

:huh:
Magicians disappear all the time, but as soon as a regular person does it, everyone is all scared.

#25 Guest_guest23_*

Guest_guest23_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2004 - 09:10 AM

Hi,

No, I hadn't tried it, but I would have expected it to work.

Had you shutdown all services (pro32srv & SD_pro32srv) and sessions before you isin'ed, since you will get corrupt ProISAM files if any where open if you use isin.

Also, what do you mean by 'Stuffed up my installation'?

Also, what else did you have to do other than uninstall SD to 'clean up your PC', uninstalling SD should clean it all up, or were there things that the uninstall did not do propery?

If the uninstall did not work correctly, then maybe you should report it as a bug.

Rob.

Hi,

Like you I expected it to work ...

Pretty sure I'd shut everything down, but I might be wrong.
Problem was Kernel trying to regen everything and giving
'SPECS MISSING' error.

Uninstall/reinstall didn't work but I only had to delete the
install directory to clean up.

#26 Glenn Meyers

Glenn Meyers

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:I also raise African Gray Parrots and build hot rod automobiles.

Posted 09 December 2004 - 11:10 PM

Ok.......

I have an application for the two of you to code from scratch.

Both of you send me your email addresses and I will send both of you the specs at the same time in the same email. The elapsed time will be from the outgoing email time to the time on the incoming eamail with your answer.out file. We will post both the application spec and your creations here for the users at large to vote on who wrote the best application. I will keep the time taken private until a weeks worth of voting is done.

Fair enough?

Glenn

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users