PROIV Export Data - Subcontract this Task

6 replies to this topic

#1 AV36

AV36

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 06:31 PM

What methods are available for exporting some data from PROIV Version 5.50 We are looking to subcontract a developer to do it for one of our customers.

Regards,
Ed

#2 Ross Bevin

Ross Bevin

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 07:32 PM

You need to be more specific. What data type do you want to export to?

#3 Joseph Bove

Joseph Bove

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 07:45 PM

AV36,

Without knowing the specifics:

You can certainly data capture any report with relative ease.

Also, your application may have a report writer tool within it.

If your database is an SQL database, then any ODBC tool will do. If you're on ProISAM, you can purchase a ProISAM ODBC driver (from your vendor).

Finally, you can contract with your vendor for custom updates that export data in any fashion that you want.

Of course, if you go the ODBC route, you'll really need to know your table structures. Depending on your application, learning your database structure may be a massive undertaking.

So, it's kind of all over the place...

Regards,

Joseph

#4 Lewis Mccabe

Lewis Mccabe

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 01:46 AM

We wrote a routine which exports all pro-isam data to ascii. Let me know if that would be helpful.

Lew

#5 Guest_Jay Carter_*

Guest_Jay Carter_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2004 - 06:57 AM

I used a tool from a company called TekOps that will export proiv data directly from .out files to almost any format you desire including delimited or directly into MySQL (as an example). It can also port to sybase, oracle, etc. You do not need to know the database format. This tool figures out all of the fields, record lengths, content, etc. It runs on Solaris and Linux and I think they have a windows port as well.

email info@tekops.com for details.

Jay

#6 Joseph Bove

Joseph Bove

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 02:53 PM

Jay,

I think you may have been referencing my post when you said that "You don't even need to know the database format" for the tool you are recommending.

From experience, we try to always tell our clients that having access to the database and knowing how to use that data are radically different concepts. I have no idea what application AV36 has, but without having a good idea how tables are laid out, etc., he could still be looking at a massive hack job after extracting the data...

But, it does sound that the tool you're recommending can solve a major part of his requirements.

Regards,

Joseph

#7 AV36

AV36

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 07:58 PM

Hi again,

I assume that since the file extensions are .PRO, it's Pro ISAM. We need to export a few files such as the Item Master to ASCII delimited. Since we are not familiar with PROIV, we will need to sub some of the work.

Thanks,
Ed

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users