#1 George Macken

George Macken

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 11:08 AM

Hi

I'm running a report - just delivered to a user site - it runs OK some users but for other its reporting problems re: tmp files

The NT admin users have no prob running the report, but not the data entry personnel

what/where are the settings on pro-iv that specify the locations of tmp files to be created

see attachment

tnks

George

Attached Files

#2 Rob Donovan

Rob Donovan

rob@proivrc.com

• Admin
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 11:37 AM

Hi,

What Kernel and ProIV Client version are you using...

As far as I can remember, there used to be some bug that ProIV used the same temp filename name for reports at some point. But I cant remember what version it was... think it was some version of 5.0 or 5.5

If you want to set the Temp dir for ProIV, set the variable PROTEMP. This is used for ProIV sort files, but I'm not sure if its also used for print files.

Rob.

#3 George Macken

George Macken

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 01:02 PM

Rob

using pro-iv version 4.1

Kernel Version 4.0000, Revision 5.1.4 (Sep 17, 98)

This probelm is occurring as the "netwrok administrator" at some point reconfigured server and change security for user groups and directory access. just trying to figure out where pro-iv is trying to create these files so that the Reports spool to the dialogue box

from the application.ini
[ENVIRONMENT]

;directories as seen from the server itself
PROPATH=G:\FAMIS\LIFE17\LIVE\PRO4\
PRODATA=G:\FAMIS\LIFE17\LIVE\DATA\
PROBIN=G:\FAMIS\LIFE17\LIVE\BIN\
PROTEMP=G:\FAMIS\LIFE17\LIVE\TMP\

;directories as seen from the workstation
PROWPRO4=F:\FAMIS\LIFE17\LIVE\PRO4\
PROWDATA=F:\FAMIS\LIFE17\LIVE\DATA\
PROWBIN=F:\FAMIS\LIFE17\LIVE\BIN\
PROWTMP=F:\FAMIS\LIFE17\LIVE\TMP\

are you saying that the users need r/w access to TMP - I believe it is -
but either the PROTEMP is populated with some other value while session active - is it possible to view this value from within PROIV?
OR the tmpfile creeated for spooling to the dialogue box are set by some other variables

additionally, the setting above for the workstation - why would they be different that the server - what/why are these PROW variables set

tnks

George

#4 Sindre Solem

Sindre Solem

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 07:10 AM

I guess this would be the temp dir on the client side. If it was on the server side (and
presuming that Pro-IV is running in server mode), it wouldn't make a difference whether
the user was logged in as administrator or a regular user.

I'm not sure which directories are used by the client for temporary storage, but I see
that screen report files are stored in the directory pointed to by the TEMP/TMP
variable.

#5 Joseph Bove

Joseph Bove

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 07:14 AM

George,

Two things of note:

1) Here is a way to see the value of any environment variable within ProIV.

SYSF(22, Environment variable, $VALUE)
UMSG($VALUE, -1)

So, you can use this for PROTEMP.

2) PROTEMP is not the answer.

PROPRINTPATH is!

PROPRINTPATH is the directory where report files are created - depending on how you are printing within ProIV. If you set RPTOPT to ' 8bob.txt' or '8, bob.txt' - then your print file should become PROPRINTPATH\bob.txt.

Regards,

Joseph

#6 Sindre Solem

Sindre Solem

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 07:15 AM

And isn't PROTEMP called PROIVTEMP now? :)

#7 Rob Donovan

Rob Donovan

rob@proivrc.com

• Admin
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 08:12 AM

Joseph,

Not that I'm against using SYSF commands....

But you can do that by just prefixing the variable by &$@~

Like...

UMSG(&$@~PROTEMP,-1)

Rob D.

#8 Rory

Rory

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 04:02 PM

Rob, Joseph

Your information regarding the environment variables - I got this to work using the SYSF command - referring to them directly did not work (on version 4.0 / maybe I got it wrong) - anyway I was happy enough with the values returned in PROTEMP and PROPRINTPATH, I think PROPRINTPATH is ignored on version 4.0 -

Similar to PROPATH/PRODATA, What is the command to return the Current Directory when pro-iv is executing?

When I log on to the network with Admin rights and run the application, the report runs OK and I could view files being created/deleted in the PROTEMP account. However when I log on with User Rights I am still getting the report problem cannot create file \sv?%$£ as per the earlier attachment.

I checked that the user could create files using Notepad/Word in the PROTEMP directory; the user has R/W permissions for PROPATH/PRODATA/PROTEMP but still getting access problem when running the report. I changed the User to have Admin Network rights and then run report and it runs/executes OK.

This is a large network and lots of users I cannot change rights for all users, plus its hard to narrow down specific locations that pro-iv may be trying to create temp file in generating the report dialogue box.

I think that when report is executing that pro-iv is attempting to r/w other directories along with the PROTEMP directory

See attachment - showing Application.piv, pro4.ini, loopback.ini and application.ini - are there some values missing from these

I'd appreciate all/any help on this

Rgds

George

Attached Files

#9 Joseph Bove

Joseph Bove

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 09:11 PM

George,

I reserve the right to be wrong on this...

I think that PROPRINTPATH has to be set in PRO4.INI

I'm not sure if the service has to be restarted in order the change to take effect.

Our Windows Pro4.ini's look like:

[ENVIRONMENT]
PROTEMP=C:\ATC\TEMP\
PROPRINTPATH=c:\atc\temp\
FSIDEFAULT=PRO-ISAM
PROTERM=GUICLR
GUI=Y
[USER DEFAULT]
PROIVOPER=---
PROIVCODIV=VET
[USER VADDS]
INIPATH=C:\ATC\PIV\VADDS.INI

Good luck,

Joseph

PS: Rob, I'll have to try your trick with the environment variables. That has to potential to simplify life by one command.

#10 Rob Donovan

Rob Donovan

rob@proivrc.com

• Admin
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 10:17 PM

Maybe the Env. var. thing didint work for George, since he is on V4.0

Cant remember when it was introduced, maybe 4.6

Rob D.

#11 George Macken

George Macken

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 02:18 PM

setting PROPRINTPATH in pro4.ini has still not resolved the problem

===
Running pro-iv on NT server, users connected from NT/Win2000 workstations, client is installed on the workstations.

If I change the User to have Admin rights on the server then the problem does not occur. However I could not leave the users with Admin rights and have changed back to “normal” user rights.

I’m not an NT administrator just a pro-iv coder (more yrs than I can remember at this stage)

My feeling is that the Dialogue Window that present the report is trying to create a file somewhere on the C: or G: on the network other than the files it creates in PROPATH & PROPRINTPATH.

see following analysis/problem I am encountering, maybe they are all related
=
1)
I set the PROTEMP & PROPRINTPATH env variables in both the pro4.ini and the application.ini – example; both set to g:\application\temp – All Users & Admin have r/w access to this directory and can create files there using NOTEPAD and from PRO-IV.

When logged in as Admin I see files being created and deleted from g:\application\temp while the report is executing prior to presentation in the dialogue box, these files automatically delete sometimes before/after dialogue box closes.

When logged in as user I also see files being created and deleted in the g:\application\temp but I get no results in the Dialogue Box, getting the error message (13) cannot create file \sv3d4f4 (RandomCharacters)

It’s the standard pro-iv print/spool dialogue box, once we upgrade we can switch to directing the print to Wordpad, etc.,

As mentioned if I change the network user to Admin, I see the data in dialogue box. This is not a pro-iv user security issue as when I log on as Admin/User I use same pro-iv user but get different results – As either Admin/User I can enquire on this info using proiv enquiry functions, also when $SPOOL set to file, the file/report is created.

The problem I have seem to be related to the Dialogue Box !!!

================================================
I put a test programme into the application to shell out to the system and run the DIR command (therefore listing Current Dir) to an output.txt file.
The resulting output.txt file was created in c:\winnt\system32 on the SERVER.
This occurs when logged on to network with either Admin or User privileges.
I also changed the $SPOOL to output to a filename and the file gets created in the c:\winnt\system32 directory.

This is a problem itself!!!!

PROPATH, PRODATA are set in the PIV/INI TO g:\application\(directories) and when I view these vars via SYSF command they are correct.

I thought changing thought changing the $SPOOL to a filename would have most likely created a file in the PRODATA/PROTEMP/PROPRINTPATH, I need this default (user working directory) to be “for example” g:\application\temp

What/where should I change PIV/INI to set/change the current directory of the user prior to pro-iv executing, such as g:\application\temp on the network????

My recollection “pre piv” days when I worked on Unix was to write a shell file such as
cd /u/application/temp
set PROPATH (all other environment variables)
export PROPATH (all other environment variables)
u/pro40/pro

=======================
3)
I put in a 2nd test programme into the application to SYSTEM COMMAND the DIR directory contents creating results file in directory g/application/data, that only Admin have Create/Write/DELETE rights.

I ran this programme in PRO-IV as both Admin – it created the file as expected (OK) - and as User and it also created the file (this I found strange, did not expect to be successful) – log out of pro-iv and I could not delete this file although had just created it minutes earlier from within pro-iv – As User I cannot create file in this directory using NOTEPAD but can from PRO-IV???

============================

Please send on any help/advice on the above

thanks

George

#12 Joseph Bove

Joseph Bove

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 11:21 PM

George,

I think the following may be of help.

By default settings, when you initiate a ProIV Windows session, you are not a Windows user within ProIV. Rather, you are whatever account ProIV service logs in as.

When we deploy our systems, we may the ProIV service log in as administrator due to some funky Microsoft feature whereby printers become "lost" randomly. I wonder if yours might be the same problem. We were trying to print to printers over the network. Error messages would indicate that, at some point, the network location became unavailable to ProIV. Once it didn't work for a session, it would not work any further...

Anyhow, with you pointing your PROPRINTPATH to drive G - especially if it is a mapped network drive, you may be in the same boat. Try having the ProIV service log on as administrator or some other user.

Regards,

Joseph

#13 George Macken

George Macken

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 08:46 AM

Hi

from previous posting
1)
I set the PROTEMP & PROPRINTPATH env variables in both the pro4.ini and the application.ini – example; both set to g:\application\temp – All Users & Admin have r/w access to this directory and can create files there using NOTEPAD and from PRO-IV.

When logged in as Admin I see files being created and deleted from g:\application\temp while the report is executing prior to presentation in the dialogue box, these files automatically delete sometimes before/after dialogue box closes.

When logged in as user I also see files being created and deleted in the g:\application\temp but I get no results in the Dialogue Box, getting the error message (13) cannot create file \sv3d4f4 (RandomCharacters)

It’s the standard pro-iv print/spool dialogue box, once we upgrade we can switch to directing the print to Wordpad, etc.,

As mentioned if I change the network user to Admin, I see the data in dialogue box. This is not a pro-iv user security issue as when I log on as Admin/User I use same pro-iv user but get different results – As either Admin/User I can enquire on this info using proiv enquiry functions, also when $SPOOL set to file, the file/report is created.

The problem I have seem to be related to the Dialogue Box !!!

===============
19/04/2004
When running the reports

I still have this print problem occurring -

From the last analysis of this I have witnessed that whether the PRO-IV application is being used by a Normal User or Administrator User (varying rights of read, create etc., on the server) that when the report is executing that for both type User PRO-IV is creating a temporary file in g:\application\temp

I have also witnessed that when logged on as Administrator that there is also a file temportary created in the root directory "G:\" upon executing of the Print Dialogue Box - and its cleared/removed when the box is closed. However, for Normal User, no file is created in "G:\" upon executing of the Print Dialogue Box and resulting in the report not being presented. Normal users dont have write permission to the root directory.

Anyone any suggestions on what setting the Print Dialogue Box uses to decide where to create its temporary files ?

tnks

George

#14 Sindre Solem

Sindre Solem

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 10:18 AM

I've had this exact same situation at one customer site.

I had upgraded from a Novell to a NT server, but not upgraded
the clients.

One or two of the workstations had this error. They disappeared
after upgrading the client.

There was no change on the workstation or user's permissions in any way,
but the newer version of the Pro-IV client could be handling temp files
differently than before. So I never found out what had been wrong, but the
problem was solved.

#15 Joseph Bove

Joseph Bove

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 04:17 PM

George,

We always put the printpath to a directory on C: and have never had a problem like you are experiencing. The only potential error that we would get would be if that directory (C:\atc\temp) didn't exist.

There were some earlier versions of ProIV where if you didn't specify the directory with a final backslash, it would create files like:

C:\atc\temp583

instead of

c:\atc\temp\583

Hth

Joseph

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users