10 replies to this topic

#1 Joseph Bove

Joseph Bove

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 07:18 PM

I was very tempted to create an alternate user identity as the next new member will be member 666. However, I couldn't decide on an appropriate name to capture the evil associated with 666.

My ideas were VMS, Btrieve, It_doesn't_look_Windows_enough, or I'll_only_ever_use_green_screen

Did anyone else have any equally appropriate saracastic suggestions?

Regards,

#2 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2004 - 08:14 PM

Sushil Garg.
Can't understand why you would demonize VMS though, or even Btrieve for that matter? ;)

#3 Glenn Meyers

Glenn Meyers

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:I also raise African Gray Parrots and build hot rod automobiles.

Posted 08 January 2004 - 09:48 PM

Bill Gates

#4 GBabula

GBabula

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 12:30 AM

Hmmm...

We run Pro-IV 5.5 on VMS exclusively in green screen.

I don't know what axe you have to grind against VMS, and as for the green screen, well....we have our reasons. Let's just say we have a fetish for non-proportional fonts... :D

Nevertheless, I am tempted to smite your double-barreled sarcastic slap against my Pro-IV environment, and beat you to the punch by creating member 666 as "VMS_Green_Screen"! :p

Actually, It'd probably be "VMS_Green_Screen@MOD", 'cuz we still use that too for all our development! (Got a good laugh out of that one, didn't you?) :lol:

-G

Edited by GBabula, 09 January 2004 - 12:31 AM.

#5 Rob Donovan

Rob Donovan

rob@proivrc.com

• Admin
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 01:13 AM

VIP :lol:

#6 Jeff Hon

Jeff Hon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 12:05 PM

George Dubyah Bush

#7 Joseph Bove

Joseph Bove

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 04:08 PM

GBabula

Alright, in fairness to VMS:

My original suggestions for the 666 member (before my self-censor took over) were Dev_Studio_1.0, and ProIV_3.1.

However, I didn't necessarily want to offend any of the good folks at ProIV...

So, I instead choose to highlight some of the platforms that we had the worst experiences with - Btrieve and VMS.

Why VMS?

We tried supporting one client on VMS for years and were never able to create a ProISAM file on their box because they didn't have a development license.

Why Btrieve?

It was ugly...

Why Green Screen?

We are in a very competitive marketplace and have caused ourselves considerable pain by making sure our changes are supported in both Green Screen and GUI. When all is said and done, it probably wasn't worth it.

As for @MOD, I would never assign demonic overtones to it. I'd sooner join Rob in maligning VIP... although, in fairness, if VIP can do everything we do in our development environment, I am willing to bid a sad farewell to @MOD.

Regards,

#8 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2004 - 07:21 PM

Uh.. ProISAM is not supported on VMS and never has been, regardless of licensing issues.
In any case, RMS is VASTLY superior in practically every respect except possibly convenience.
As is (was) Btrieve - does transactions, alternate indexes, big files works across network, less corruptions..
IMHO anyway.. :lol:

#9 Joseph Bove

Joseph Bove

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 11:49 PM

You're right. It was rms files. The issue was that you could not create an ProIV rms file without a development user license. I don't believe that iscr existed either for vms at that time.

If ProIV / VMS works well for you, kudos. For us, it was about as pleasurable as being forced to watch the that scene in Deliverance 100 times over while sitting between PeeWee Herman and Michael Jackson. :lol:

In returning to the original topic: Perhaps member 666 should Michael_Jackson_is_babysitting_your_kids

#10 Chris Pepper

Chris Pepper

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 05:49 PM

Hey - just in case someone does a search on VMS or RMS!

I think Joseph is just trying to say that iscr doesn't exist for VMS! Actually that's because it doesn't need to - clearly he didn't talk to anyone with even a minimal amount of VMS experience. It's really easy to create a ProIV file on VMS, regardless of whether you have a Development or Run-time license.

All you need is to create the appropriate FDL file (File Definition Language) file in a text editor and use the command CREATE /FDL=name of file file_to_be_created.PRO ! A ProIV file is just a Variable format indexed file - so actually it's much easier than on other systems where you need to have a copy of the iscr program!

#11 Joseph Bove

Joseph Bove

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 06:28 AM

Chris,

At the time that knowledge would have been quite beneficial. We had raised the issue to ProIV numerous times and were told that we would have to create files elsewhere and isin them into the VMS environment.

As this was many years ago, there was no robdon or proivrc resource available... otherwise, I might have had access to your (clearly superior) VMS knowledge.

Regards

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users